Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2003 13:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary Morton
afternoon all,
I have been practising health and safety for some 6 years now, and when given the task of writing a general statements have always included in that the phrase the term 'so far as is reasonably practicable' as opposed to I will!!,

I believe that not putting this statement in would lead to any comittements made in the statement, being taken as an absolute duty i.e. we will require that any company contracted to work for this organisation applies health and safety standards that are fully consistant with our own, I am having a real job convincing the health and safety manager that the phrase so far as reasonably practicable is necessary from a legal point of view, am I losing my marbles????
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2003 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie
well as it is essentially the basis for all UK H&S law, I think you have the right idea.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2003 14:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson
No, you're not losing your marbles, but that phrase should not be used too much in coporate documents. It's alright in the law, but for your own organisation you should try to be more specific about what will be done.

For example, instead of staying "staff should avoid lone working so far as is reasonably practicable", you carry out a risk assessment and specify which jobs can't sensibly be controlled any other way, and which require another person, a radio, etc.

The same thoery goes for general company policy, right down to safe systems of work. Part of the trick in H&S is to avoid undefined phrases, and figure out how to be specific about what will happen, without affecting the business. Or alternatively define how managers are going to be competent to make the right decisions about what is appropriate.

Hope this makes some sense. Basically you are thinking along the right lines, but your H&S manager probably realises from experience that you need to interpret what "reasonably practicable" actually means for your operations.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2003 15:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Charleston
Gary

The law exists, warts and all - whether it is known about, or referenced in other forms of internal document.

From that perspective, there is no benefit to having legalese in any company publication - because judgements on actual performance within the law will be made by independent assessment of ALL legal requirements (by a judge, jury or whoever).

I can't accept that omitting this legally-related phrase will leave an absolute duty in its place - although there may be some readers of such documents who try to infer that until properly informed. At most, I suggest one reference to it in a prominent place near the front, then forget it!

On a related issue, it really gets up my nose when I encounter the scourge of all Principal Contractors (ie Planning Supervisors with a little understanding of H&S) who insist that Project H&S Plans must specifically state that the PC and other contractors will comply with RIDDOR '95 - as if there aren't far more copious and important pieces of legislation that still have to be followed, regardless of them being mentioned or not!

I don't think that you're losing your marbles either - just another of life's little tripping points in this grand game of H&S.

Mike
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2003 15:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary Morton
My intention is not to keep quoting the phrase sfarp all the way through the document, I would agree it only needs saying the once, if it is not necessary then tell me why almost every policy I have ever seen with the exception of some written for smaller orgs (usings non pros)has the phrase in it at least once!!

I strongly believe that omitting to say it at all, is a bad move and is the org open to claim if not legal action,

You cant just say that you will do something, and then say well, what I meant was we will do it if it is reasonable, clarifying that at a later date, if you say youre going to do it you must!"
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 September 2003 15:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Thompson
As the statement of intent, when signed ammounts to an agreement or acceptance of what an employer is committed to doing (some would argue it to be a contract)
I consider that, Making an unconditional statement of "I Will" thereby commits the employer to "Do" irrespective of what is reasonably practicable.
This position is also supported by my H&S colleagues.
A simple paragraph at the start of the Statement would suffice to mention reasonable practicality rather than repeating the comment at every point.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 September 2003 16:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott
Gary - it would depend of course on what it was you were saying in your general statement. If for example you were saying the employer, would undertake risk assessments SFARP - then that would be incorrect - the legislation (Mgt Regs) makes the requirement to risk assess an Absolute duty - SFARP does not come into it! I would be more inclined to avoid the legalese, as others have indicated, but get management to commit themselves to achieving high standards by making themselves aware of their obligations under H&S Act and committed to meet those obligations as key management objectives.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 September 2003 00:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
Gary,

Do not wish to be too synical, particularly as there have been some practical and sensible comments, but..surely health and safety has not sunk to depths of convenient semantics. Good Lord, there is enough 'paper' safety already without practitioners adding to the problem.

Perhaps we can be a little more constructive and leave the 'small print' to lawyers. I believe that the concept of good health and safety practice is more than just about a phrase or am I losing my marbles!!

Ray
Admin  
#9 Posted : 09 September 2003 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary Morton
Raymond, no I don not think you are losing your marbles, however I do think you will lose a considerable number of claims with the distain you show for health and safety law, why not have a word with your insurance company or risk managers or legal dept for that matter to see what level of importance they put on such semantic phraseology

regards

Gary
Admin  
#10 Posted : 09 September 2003 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond
In our new H&S policy statement, our first paragraph gives our mission statement - fairly typical - talks about being the best in our sector. The second paragraph says: "To be the best, we must look after our staff. Without the dedication and commitment of our staff, we would not be able to look after our service users. We are therefore committed to the active prevention of accidents and ill-health."

Isn't that more powerful than a bland statement saying "We will ensure the Health Safety and Welfare of staff, so far as is reasonably practicable".

Just another thought, the definition of 'safe' in Croners publications is an 'acceptable' level or risk - not zero risk. So if you say you will keep people safe - this should not be an absolute duty. Although, I understand that lots of people think 'safe' means zero risk.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 09 September 2003 10:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
If I can have my tuppence-worth, in essence I think the root issue here is whether a business thinks of itself as compliance-led or best practice led. If the former (which is a matter of policy, of course, and requires a conscious decision to be made), then what one says is 'we will comply with the law'. So the RP phrase is appropriate.

If the latter, then the statement of intent/policy will look more like the previous writer's version. Neither are right or wrong, but both express the business philosophy.

The snag with wanting to 'be the best' is that it costs more in time, money and commitment. So if you don't want to do that for any reason, then stick with compliance. Either way, the Board needs to make its mind up in my opinion. Where we come in is advising on the two options and what the implications are for each.

Example: you could lead the way and ban the use of mobile phones while driving, period. That exceeds present and future requirements but is the best practice option, based on relaible research. But the business may well decide that it can't go that far, and instead will stick to the letter of the law (and keep up with its future changes). The latter is the least you must do and is perfectly respectable of course.

Allan
Admin  
#12 Posted : 09 September 2003 10:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
You can always tell a 'H&S Committed' employer by the opening page of their H&S policy.

If they have practically quoted verbatum Sect 2 duties and then dated and signed it as opposed to the MD actually writing his policy statment in his own words.Tells a lot about the organisation.

If they have put the effort and time in to show real commitment and not just copy legislation or legal phraseology then this goes a long way.

Leave it out! don' do it! Leave out reference to legislation as well, why does that have to be included? 'We are going to ensure that we control all risks as best we can to protect all our people and any one else we may affect etcetc etc' is better that Reg 2.1.(a)of Man Regs says we have to do a Riisk assessment etc.

Remember this is a living document which evolves and grows and is both the employers and the employees commitment to being the best at safety not a collection of Statute quotes.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 09 September 2003 10:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
PS SFAIRP is decided by the courts anyway not the employer, so in reality if you are in court you did not do things SFAIRP!!!
Admin  
#14 Posted : 09 September 2003 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
Now, Dave, you know that's not necessarily true! When you get to court you could well believe that you did do what was AFAIR, and the court will decide if it agrees with you!

Allan
Admin  
#15 Posted : 09 September 2003 12:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Like I said Alan its the court which decides whether you have done everthing AFAIRP, you might think you have have but they could disagree and you get a criminal record as a result.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 09 September 2003 20:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary Morton
evening all,
Allan I have taken what you said on board and agree, but how many of us (particularly large multi disciplined oragnisations in my case with 14 thousand employees) can say that we surpass all legislative requirements and apply best practice in all areas?

You all know as well as I that it is increasingly difficult to keep abreast of the constantly changing legislation, acops and guidance etc and to make the statement 'I or we not only comply but currently achieve best practice in all areas'is not realistic, at present.

In making this statement I believe you are in fact putting yourself into a position were you are looking to be shot down.

For goodness I think it is time that we all got a grip and stopped this pretentious behaviour.
If you believe the statement that we will always achieve best practice is realistic, I suggest you go and carryout an audit or inspection, If you do dont find anything wrong then I apologise in advance you are in my experience the exception

I would gladly take up the challenge if anyone said to me come to my work place (which must be similar to my own and not just a one man band office etc) and I will not only show you complete compliance with health and safety law, but best practice in all areas!

I agree BEST PRACTICE is the aim for us all but lets keep it as an aim and not state absolutely that we achieve it when we know only too well we are not capable as yet. Lets keep our targets 'smart'

Gary
Admin  
#17 Posted : 09 September 2003 21:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
I can't believe you are all being serious.

The vast majority of people who read policies don't even know what reasonably practicable means!

Perhaps someone could quote me a case where the omission of the words reasonably practicable resulted in a prosecution?

Ray - you're on the right track, try not to be put off by the content or tone of these responses. The H&S world is full of people who quote laws and regulations and yet can't put it to practical use.

Geoff
Admin  
#18 Posted : 09 September 2003 21:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
Gary says that he is writing a General Statement, that being the case then Dave’s and Raymond’s approach is correct and it should be written as the employers, or MDs statement of intent.

It should be written in a direct and positive manner without the courtroom jargon that the untrained reader can miss interpret, and in a lot of cases will choose to misinterpret.

When people read the general policy statement the reader should be left in no doubt that the MD is serious about H&S.

Sometimes these documents are written solely as a "back covering exercise", or with the intention of using it to defend claims. It doesn’t work that way.

If someone gets injured or the inspector identifies a situation with imminent risk of serious injury, then some part of the H&S organisation or arrangements failed.

"Paper is not substantial enough to be used as PPE for ones back."

Steve

Admin  
#19 Posted : 10 September 2003 00:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
Well, it looks like realism is gaining momemtum.

Gary, I do not have to consult my corporate lawyer, legal department or any other form of compliance driven machination. I am not a vocational health and safety practitioner.

Therefore, I do not have to pander to apathetic managers or acquiesce with senior management. If I have a view on poor safety practice (and I often do)I can support my argument with pragmatic examples.

I became a registered safety practitioner because I believe in the cause of improving peoples lives, through good practice and good sense. The day I have to revert to compromising my principles in the name of 'virtual safety' is the day I will look to another occupation.

Ray