Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 September 2003 10:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Fletcher
I am about to implement OHSAS 18001. I was wondering if anyone had an example of an Initial Status Review or an opinion on how long this process should take?

We are a Brewery/Soft Drinks Manufacturer employing 400.

I would also be interested in establishing a 'Distribution List' of people who are going through the same process, as a vehicle for shared learning, if anyone's interested.

Regards

Mike Fletcher
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 September 2003 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
Mike,

I'm looking at this too

A list sounds a good idea.
Maybe a IOSH special interest group is worth considering. (or does one already exist).
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 September 2003 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith
Mike

IOSH have already published a Guidance document for OH&S systems called ‘Systems in Focus’. This is free via: http://www.iosh.co.uk/fi...stemsinFocus0302wv%2Epdf or if you are a member you can also obtain a free hard copy by writing to IOSH.

Chapter 8 on ‘How to get started’ already discusses the initial status review process. One of the recommendations in this section is, “Not taking too long in trying to develop a ‘perfect’ system; instead implementing something reasonable and learning how to do better via the internal audit, management review and continual improvement process.”

I hope this helps you.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 September 2003 12:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
As a representative of a third party registration body that covers OHSAS 18001, I have a vested interest in this thread but on a professional level, I am interested in the potential take-up of a Safety Management System Standard that is applicable both nationally and internationally. And therein lies the problem - quality management was (and still is) a voluntary measure, so BSI stole a march on everyone and created a Standard that was formally adopted internationally as no-one else had a viable alternative. Environmental protection, although law in most countries by now, followed on from this and can still be seen as relatively "new", so it was an obvious one to agree a new Standard approach (although it should be noted that ISO14001 can be replaced by EMAS, so it isn't all or nothing). The "problem" with safety is that the laws of the various countries go back much further, and there seems to be difficulty in defining terminology, let alone agreement on the correct apporach to safe systems. For example, how much emphasis should be placed on appropriate corporate culture and behaviours? Are they essential to making the workplace safe - i.e. is it more physical than psychological or the other way round?

I have a keen interest in how management Standards are perceived and applied, how much importance is placed on third party recognition (after all, if you are doing it properly why not have that confirmed in a way that others will automatically accept, not just take your word for it?) and most importantly - are the stated benefits actually realised?

I have had no problems finding literature on how to implement ISO9001 or ISO14001 - but I have found it difficult to locate anything on OHSAS 18001. Is it really that difficult - or is it still seen as being so rare that there is no commercial benefit in publishing it?

As a third party registration body, we need to be sure there is sufficient existing and potential demand before we will commit resources to training assessors to competently assess systems - you will be assured to know that achieving recognition for this particular skills base within our organisation is seen as more challenging and time consuming than either quality or environmental systems, but the flip side of this is that they are few and far between. If few want it, why should we invest in providing the service? Hence it would be interesting to know how many organisations are implementing the Standard and more importantly, how many are intending to seek formal registration as their goal. The danger will be that with few providers, choices will be restricted and the competition is limited, with all that this will entail.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 September 2003 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Sneddon
Hi Mike,

My advice for your initial status review is to complete some type of gap analyis i.e., comparing what you have now compared to what the OHSAS 18001 standard requires. You will soon see what you are missing and need to do prior to certification.

When we developed our safety management system to the OHSAS 18001 requirements we worked on the basis of the plan, do, check and act cycle.

Stemming from the comprehensive risk assessments and OH&S policy we were able to establish measurable objectives and targets to demonstrate continual commitment and improvement.

Good luck!

Jim
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 September 2003 16:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond
In response to Sean's comment, the way I look at it, I value getting OHSAS 18001 accreditation because it is rare. The moment it becomes too popular - it won't be so special! You see the investors in people badge everywhere now - so that doesn't seem so special!

Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 September 2003 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi
Nigel, your response poses interesting questions such as do organisations primarily opt for OHSAS 18001 (or for that matter any other certificated safety management system) because of its "prestige" or it is "elitist" or because it adds value?? No doubt that any form of certification/award brings prestige, but surely as Health and Safety Practitioners, we should concentrate on the benefits associated with implementation and not the perceived prestige.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 September 2003 13:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Harwood
I have followed this thread with interest, having just completed a gap analysis of our organisations HSE management system against the 18001 standard.

In response to Mike's original post, I would be very happy to share information with you and any other organisations striving for certification.

As for the "prestige v. added value" debate, for me both apply. Senior management will consent to the application for the prestige it will add to the organisation, whilst I know from the gap analysis that complying with the 18001 specification will strengthen our HSE management system, not least by encouraging more board level participation.

Alan