Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2003 14:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By margaret conlon Can someone please inform me is there a set of guidelines for forming a health & safety committee...when do you need to form the committee, what size etc...
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2003 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Depends on wheter the size of your company and wheter the have TUC representation or not! Look on the HSE www and there is loads of info on there as freee leaflets etc, try the right hand side of the home page.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2003 16:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt There's an HSE Code of Practice and Guidance for H&S Committees - ISBN 0 11 8823959 4. It's called Safety Representatives and Safety Committees and is available from HSE books.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2003 21:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack 'Depends on wheter the size of your company and wheter the have TUC representation or not!' Pardon
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2003 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave Not only is there guidance there are Regulations. As has been mentioned if there is a recognised Trade Union the committee would be set up under the SRSC Regs (regardless of the size of the company). If there is no recognised Trade Union consultation (which might or might not involve a health and safety committee) would come under the Health and Safety(Consultation with Employees) Regulations 1996. There is a free booklet Consulting Employees on Health & Safety IND(G) 232 available from the HSE or from their website.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 September 2003 12:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson If union reps have called for the committee then clearly they need some presence on it. Otherwise, ask your department heads to nominate a person for each department, and also include someone from HR and someone from maintenance/facilities/estates. I say ask department heads to nominate people, because these reps often become involved in risk assessment, accident investigation etc, which should be a line management responsibility. I normally end up having 2 committees, one management committee to develop and implement policies, the other employee reps to discuss more specific workplace issues.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 16 September 2003 09:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze From personal experience (please note) if a committee of any sort exceeds more than 7 people (absolute maximum 12), it becomes more of a talking shop and is less likely to get things done. I particularly like the idea of multiple committees e.g. 1 per site worked at my last place and managers & workers committees have already been mentioned. However you then risk reinforcing any them 'n' us culture that may already exist when what you really want is for people to (dare I say it) 'unite against the common enemy'.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 16 September 2003 12:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul I have 2 pararell committees one for the Union,( as they do not want a joint committee) i.e non union representation at their forum, and and one for non-union memebers as we have to consult with them under the consultation with employees regs 1996
Admin  
#9 Posted : 18 September 2003 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave If the TU Reps have identified the groups of workers they represent (regardless of whether all the workers are within membership) the SRSC model applies. HSCER only applies where you have groups of workers not covered by union reps. The distinction is between groups of workers not individual workers. If the TU has agreed to cover non-members for H&S consultation purposes or if they represent some of the workers the only option is the SRSC version. The HSCER were introduced specifically to deal with situations where there are no recognised TUs. Anyway I'm told the ConDoc on employee consultation is due out in November (how often have we been told that!!) so it may all change in the next couple of years. Anyway why do I sometimes get the feeling that not everyone loves the unions. My current low fat diet only allows me to eat two managers before breakfast.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 19 September 2003 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Crump Regulation 9 (1) of the SRSC 1977 states: For the purpose of section 2(7) of the 1974 act (HSAWA) which requires an employer in prescribed cases to establish a safety committee if requested to do so by safety representatives, the prescribed cases shall be any cases in which at least two safety reps request the employer in writing to establish a safety committee. Regulation 9 (2)(c) states that:the committee shall be established not later than three months after the request for it Guidance note para 43 states: The membership and structure of safety committees should be settled in consultation between management and the trade union representatives concerned through the use of the normal machinery. The aim should be to keep the total size as reasonably compact as possible and compatible with the adequate representation of management and of all the employees, including safety reps. The number of management reps should not exceed the number of employees reps. All the above information can be found in the safety representatives and safety committees’ booklet, ISBN 0-7176-1220-1 (£5.75P) from HSE books. PS I am very surprised by some of the responses to your question.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 21 September 2003 16:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson Having re-read my previous response, I wouldn't be surprised if Paul Crump was referring to me! I probably seemed to be saying that management decide who represents employees, and employees don't have a say. But in the absence of union reps, this is a good way to get the ball rolling. I normally find I can agree a team with everybody concerned. If you use a management team like I suggested, you have to ensure that the line/team managers consult with and brief the teams under them. This is an essential part of developing policies etc. You also have to ensure that the union or other elected reps have a say on what happens in this management team. This is easy - upwards consultation from teams below, or from a committee made up of reps. It is wrong to think that there is a H&S Committee or nothing. There are many ways of skinning a cat, and there are even more ways of complying with the requirements Paul quotes. Many companies comply with both sets of consultation law without any stand-alone safety committee. Union reps often find that an already existing management team can develop policies etc, and production teams can achieve effective consultation. I wouldn't advocate this arrangement for everyone, it depends on the organisation. But as safety practitioners we do a better job if we can design arrangements that are appropriate to the company (which is what Reg5 of MHSWR requires).
Admin  
#12 Posted : 21 September 2003 20:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lesley McDonald Dont forget that most important word "Communication" . At the end of the day it doesnt matter who you have on your Safety Committee - if no-one communicates effectively and Listens t others then it is a waste of time . Our Company has several Safety Committee Meetings - including Union reps , Managers and Site Leadership members and also Safety Action Team Leaders Meetings .