Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2003 15:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Katie
I wonder if anyone can help.

I'm looking for an approved method for determining the concentration of cyanogen bromide in air. Although I'm looking for something quantitive, other methods would be useful to know. I know Drager due tubes for Cyanogen Chloride and Cyanide, but it's really cyanogen bromide I'm after, so to determine workplace concentrations.

Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2003 18:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike
Katie
There are no TWA sampling methods published specifically for cyanogen bromide. The US OSHA Chemical Sampling Information method for cyanogen chloride would have to be adapted. XAD-2 tubes coated with hydroxymethylpiperazine reagent are used for air sampling. The derivative is desorbed with toluene and analysed by gas chromatography. Unfortunately even this is not documented by OSHA in any detail. The analysing lab has to go to OSHA 61 (phosgene) for that. Furthermore OSHA mentions mass spectrometry as a desirable extra for the HMP derivative. It isn't. It's absolutely essential. The lab that knows how to do all this is a rare animal. Gas detector tubes are just as good when you have a method as marginal as this one.
regards
Mike