Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2003 15:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Darren Jones Employees at one of our factories have to cross a public highway to access the employee carpark from the factory. What responsibilities do we have in providing them with a safe place to cross? At present there is no crossing point.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2003 20:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Don't most people have to cross roads on their way home? They're lucky the car park is just across the road some people have to go half way across town.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2003 21:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede I suppose the question is is in whose time do you access the car park? Is the car park an employee benefit? I think you may struggle to insist on a crossing point but in reality it would make sense as best practice. I am sure a risk assessment would reveal that crossing the road is the most unsafe act that most employees do during the day so short of moving the car park to your side of the road....
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2003 08:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Advise your local council of your concerns - then leave it to them. With a bit of luck they will do the risk assessment and come up with a crossing point at public expense - or not, if one is not required. Which would then answer your question. Geoff
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 September 2003 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Follow Geoff's advice, of course. We have adopted this procedure for our schools and not without some improvement - although, in some cases, we have had to foot the bill (eg speed table and bollards). As to legal duty, I take it that this will only apply where persons are in your care and not responsible adults/persons of lawful working age for your undertaking.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2003 11:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson You have absolutlety no liability for a person from your employ when crossing the 'public' highway, its just that, the public highway. you do have a duty to maintain your 'premises' (car park) and the access and egress to it. Wonder if J Public can sue me if they trip up on the pavement outside my shop!!! as they were coming in to buy jellie babies
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 September 2003 09:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Only if it's on your defective pavement lights to a cellar or on your private forecourt, Dave.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 30 September 2003 09:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt That's an interesting comment Dave, how do you get time to do a full time safety job and also run a sweet shop at the same time.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 30 September 2003 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Probably by only reading one health and safety journal, Geoff - but it's good to keep in contact with the shop floor.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 30 September 2003 11:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Nice one laddies! Ken & Geoff have no idea what you guys do, it would appear you spend all day reading useless periodicals?
Admin  
#11 Posted : 30 September 2003 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt and thinking up flip comments for this forum!