Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2003 22:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Euan Turner Hi there, I work for an organisation that wishes to appoint a disability discrimination advisor to ensure that we comply with the DDA. Comments on the timing of this appointment aside, would anyone be able to suggest details of any professional qualifications or experience that we should be looking for at the recruitment stage?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2003 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Do not belive that there is such a thing but do you not think that this is going OTT unless you are a very large company and have hundreds of sites. Very laudable though, so once the premises are up to scratch and the policies are in and being adhered too, what they going to do?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2003 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Moore Euan, There is a National Register of Access Consultants http://www.nrac.org.uk/ These consultants will deal with DDA access issues. Hope this helps, Mick
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2003 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Moore .... or have a look at the Disability Rights Commission Web Site for ideas. http://www.drc-gb.org/ Mick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 October 2003 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair There is a company called DDA Services who undertake this type of work. If you contact me directly, I will get hold of their details for you. Regards. David
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 October 2003 22:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marilyn Martin Hi Euan If you are looking at qualifications, I guess you really need to have some idea of the role they are expected to undertake. Is it mainly concerned with recruitment or is it related to facilities and use of buildings? If it is to cover all, it is a very wide brief. I would advocate any large organisation ensuring that key staff in the following areas give consideration to DDA issues and have involvement in developing robust policies and assist in individual risk assessment: HR staff Health and Safety Adviser Occupational Health (usually excellent source of info. re disabled/not disabled in respect of legislation) Facilities management The local DEA at your JobCentre may help with some adhoc training for these personnel and advice. Otherwise, organisations like the Engineering Employers Federation also run short courses. I have just completed an Adv. cert in Employment Law at UEA. This was extremely useful in consideration of DDA and OHS issues. Whoever you give the job to, you will need to ensure a thorough understanding of emp. law implications, which are quite far reaching, as well as issues relating to safety and occupational health (confidentiality etc.) Marilyn Martin