Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2003 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hi there, I have been looking at the HSE publication Accidents at Metalworking Lathes Using Emery Cloth (EIS 2). They suggest devices such as a backing board, tool post or nutcracker and there are sketches of these. I would be grateful if anyone has photos of these devices in use, or indeed can point me in the direction of a video, because I have never seen them used in real life and photos or a video would give me much a better picture in my mind. Regards, Karen Todd
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 September 2003 20:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Karen have walk into one of your workshops and talk to the people in their. It will be more enlightening than searching the HSE we site. regards Steve
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 September 2003 12:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hi Steve, That is exactly the problem. I have been around a number of engineering workshops and I have never seen anyone use these gadgets to hold emery cloth, they all hold it by hand. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 September 2003 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Baynes I have used a backing board, many years ago, to impart a matt finish to hold ink on a printing roller because we lacked the equipment to produce the finish any other way. I do not consider the sketch in EIS 2 to show safe practice, if the board 'bites' it will be shot straight at the operator. We held the board underneath so that the board would tend to to be pulled away from the operator. They were made long enough that they would hit the back of the lathe before your hands were placed in danger. In most cases the other two options are to be preferred. Regarding hand-held emery, it is a complete no-no but someone, somewhere has been condoning its use. Disciplinary action would probably result in a defence of 'we have always done it', custom and practice etc etc. I would suggest a highly publicised, immediate ban followed by disciplinary action for any further transgressors. If(when) resistance is encountered, ask them justify both the method and the risk via RA. Good luck!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 September 2003 17:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel Karen: I was using just this technique to polish up the main roller bearing big-end bearings on my 1934 BSA Three-wheeled car last week. I fail to see how a "nutcracker" would work. I guess the Factory Inspector concerned was not a vintage car buff. I have a vague recollection of at least one engine line at Longbridge in the late 1970's using bands of emery paper to polish crankshafts on an automated machine. The perceived risk is that of entanglement which I suppose could happen if you were foolish enough to wrap the ends of the strip of emery around your fingers and wrap the emery around the work. I've actually used a flat backing strip and this last time a small stick of oilstone, which my Dad acquired as an apprentice at GEC during the war.... Your fingers are of course quite near the rotating parts of the lathe and you do need to use some care and keep the toolpost well out of the way. The technique is useful if you lack a precision grinder. Since my workshop lathe is nearly as old as my car and powered by a washing machine motor which itself is 40 years old, I do not think as a self-respecting safety consultant that I could release a picture of this process...! Luckily it falls outside the definition of "at work" This is not a job for the apprentice! Best regards Dave Daniel
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2003 17:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft As an ex turner/borer* (*no comments please), I have some experience of using emery cloth on lathes. We were actually taught the technique as aprentices (we were also taught that you only needed to wear eye protection when cutting with carbide tipped tools!). A strip of emery was torn off and wrapped around the work-peice whilst it was rotating whilst hold both ends of the emery (I've seen many a broken/dislocated thumb and lacerated hand/arm). In the days of enlightenment and after battling through the "this is the way we've always done it" arguments we did introduce some backing boards which were made of wood, in the general shape of a file, onto which the emery could be fastened. We also had tool post attachments, etc. unfortunately I don't have any photos of these. Ian
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 September 2003 17:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton We have just bought new equipment for deburring etc, perhaps you would be best off looking at a manufacturers website rather than try to find something that someone else has for this operation as each operation has it's own specific requirements. We do not allow deburring by hand - we were experiencing a few minor cuts earlier this year but I dread to think how bad these could have been had something gone wrong! Hilary