Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2003 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adam Courlander I am looking to introduce computer based training for all staff across many different sites in the UK and would be interested to hear from anyone who has either used or is using such a system.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2003 09:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Hi I am persuming you have been on teaching courses yourself. If not I would reccomend that you did or have someone who has before embarking on such a project. I too am thinking about the development of a cd with numerous training and reference aids. What seemed at first to be a simple task has turned a little interesting. After doing a small 7307 teaching course (micro teach) I now appreciate that we have to back up our aims and objectives with teaching plans etc. (cater for different learning styles) What may be sufficient for one may not for the other. 1.Remember the question will be asked if your training was sufficient. 2. Have all the staff absorbed and understood the information. 3. The evaluation proccess 4. The couse outlines 5. What assistance will be available for people with learning difficulties etc. A human teacher can identify and adapt to these where as a computer will not. Im not against them but do stress caution in their development. The powerpoint etc is easy to set up. The rest is the difficult part. Im sure you already know this. Its just my opinion. Maybe you should have backup plans where as people who do have difficulties can be taught by someone in the organisation. Good luck Jason
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2003 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adam Courlander Thanks for your input Jason. I am not going to develop one myself but looking to buy one already developed. I know of a few companies who sell these packages but am interested to hear from anyone who is actually using one.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2003 10:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Swift I am also looking at computer/online based training, specifically for DSE but covering other issues as well. As a small(ish) company we have found it difficult to schedule training sessions as there are always people out of the office or too busy to attend. This results in having to teach a course more frequently or bad feeling because staff are forced to attend when they have other work to do.The online option is being looked at because it gives flexibility in when staff complete the training, although it seems it will need some management input to ensure they are completing in the alloted time! I have looked at a couple of the online courses and done the sample training at them. I felt that the training was reasonably comprehensive, but there is the obvious problem that you cannot ask questions so you may find that you need to have someone doing a bit more in depth training to be able to provide back up. Practical training is also another obvious problem with online courses.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2003 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson WE used toi use CBT for about 10 subjects, but now we do this through the Company Intranet. You can tailor the courses with your own company image and at your premises etc, the good thing is that you can devise questions which are aimed at your company and its processes for H&S. It can also be used as a tool to 'track' completion and so can be use for Perfomance Management as it will record training as well. Another advantage is that you can do some and return to the place you left off etc and can even be done at home if you can access your company Intranet through a portal. CBT are old hat go 'online'! suppose its all about cost v budget etc.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2003 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke In a previous life I used some Instinct Training CD Roms for DSE, I can't remember how to get them direct, but I have a link for a distributer. www.stsbusinessservices.com Linda.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 September 2003 21:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Cooper Adam, I have used an interactive training system (CD Rom) from Croner CCH, and it is excellent. They do an industrial version and an office version. The industrial version includes COSHH, Risk assessment, Work equipment and manual handling. Individuals put in their name and clock number and each module has a test which you must get 80%, and pupils can even print off a certificate. Administrators can check progress of individuals, and can check how long it took them (so you know those who cheat). I would certainly recommend it.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 29 September 2003 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adam Courlander Thanks very much for your input guys and girls. Has anyone had experience with packages produced by Cardinus?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 29 September 2003 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt I suspect the future lies in eLearning. We (Royal Mail) have just developed a Safety for Managers course which is delivered in Modules each lasting from 20 minutes to an hour. It's remarkably like the Managing Safely course, but not accredited yet by IOSH hence the name change. The key point is that typically people would be away for five days on a Managing Safely course and now they can get the content on their desks and the contact time is about 12 hours in total on average. At the end of it, they go on a half-day tutorial and practical end test. This has been very well received by everyone and recognised as a huge timesaver. In case you're wondering, the development cost included about six person-months (internal) plus an external source for programming and a big five-figure cheque. Now if IOSH had any sense they would be looking to do a deal on this one... Allan
Admin  
#10 Posted : 29 September 2003 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Westrupp Adam I have used some of these packages before and would only recommend the DSE ones. I am not familiar with the management training mentioned but would consider this a possibility. Other types of training i.e. COSHH, Fire, Manual Handling etc. I would definitely NOT recommend doing like this as it is impossible to fully check understanding and absorption of the information. I would also want to check the candidates, for instance - is English their first language? - Are any of them dyslexic? - is everyone computer literate? - can they use a keyboard and mouse? - can they read? How are you going to check that the 'training' is being tranlated into 'real life'? What I found is that we excluded a small proportion of the workforce due to disability etc. and that to some people it is a bit like a 'virtual reality' game and they are unable to see any significance or link to everyday life. I have now returned to face to face training for most issues as it seems to work better. Linda