Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2003 14:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Help! I am racing to finish a document in which I want to make a case for risk assessments to be carried out in house rather than by consultants. I want to quote some case law that will back up my assertion that this is good practice - can anyone suggest some cases? I was thinking about the Ramsgate Walkway collapse but with only an hour to go to finish I haven't got time to plough through the sources! Any help hugely appreciated, will do the same for you some time Z
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2003 14:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson Can't help with case law but there is a Research Report on the HSE site about good & bad practice in risk assmt. See p19 et seq which will give you something to quote. I'll email the relevant bits. What the heck am I doing, I'm a consultant!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2003 15:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. Zoe, Who could provide the most suitable and satisfactory risk assessments? I would almost certainly go for in house assessors if suitably trained. If you are after a lever to convince management in making the right choice, I would make them aware of the changes in legislation (see thread exclusion of civil liability) which takes effect from 27th October2003. Port Ramsgate was doomed from the very beginning at the design stage back in 1991. There is a lot of info on this on the web. Hope this helps, Keith
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2003 19:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Crump Do you have competent staff who can carry out the risk assessments? If you do then why not quote the Management Regs.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 October 2003 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair Zoe, This is probably a bit late for your needs, but just in case. Have a look at the HSE's prosecutions website and use Regulation 3 MHSWR as keywords in your search. This should give you a number of prosecutions, where a failure to undertake adeqate risk assessments was one of the charges. Regards. David
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 October 2003 20:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Zoe Look to the left of your screen, select "technical information", open "Position Statements" and read the publication "Health & Safety Culture" there is a good excerpt in there that you you could highlight. Infact ask you management to read the whole 12 pages, they are totally on the wrong track. Let them hear it from someone other than yourself. If someone from outside the company were able to do your risk assessments then I would say that your risks are not complicated and generic assessments would do eg. office environments or small workshop. It’s unlikely that they will have the detailed knowledge of practices and variety of machinery used in a medium to large businesses dealing with construction, engineering, manufacturing etc. We both know that it is better to involve the workforce and MANAGEMENT with Risk Assessments. Good luck Steve