Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2003 21:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Clay I have a query as to which regulations would apply here? An employee is asked by his manager to carry two 2 gallon cans of petrol in the back of his van. The fuel is put into proper petrol containers but the cans themselves are just secured with string. this causes them to sometimes move about and they have been known to spill open. A risk assessment has been requested but none has yet been done and I have concerns for the sdafety of this operation. I just need the correct regulations to back up my case. Any help would be great. Ian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2003 21:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Not trying to non helpful but this topic has come up a few times in the past and some useful answers were posted. Try a search on petrol for all years on the current forum. There is also a useful thread on the old forum with basically the same answers. Geoff
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2003 20:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By mike grey I had this problem a while ago with the carriage of jerry cans.The vehicle in question was a flatbed type used to transport fuel from one site to another.We fitted a zinc container to the body of the vehicle with a lockable lid which ensured the load was secure."No Smoking" and "Flammable Liquid" signs were attached to the containers and the vehicle.On completion of the risk assessment i contacted the local Fire Brigade and spoke to the safety officer about regs on transportation of fuel and best practice,i found them really helpful.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2003 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Forbes We've had similar problems with our Parks and Open Spaces section. We limit it to no more than 200 litres of fuel that MUST be secured as one one unit (we had carry cages made for this purpose) - fuel has to be stored in 10 litre metal. Fuel must not be carried in enclosed areas of vehicles unless there is suitable ventilation When transported on open-back vehicles, fuel containers must not be exposed to direct sunlight and thus be carried within a metal ventilated locker Fuel containers must be kept separate from any other chemicals being transported. We have been advised also to display the "orange square" on the rear of our vehicles under 3.5 tonnes and any vehicles over that weight, driver training is required. All containers and fuel lockers should be marked with the contents and a "flammable liquid" sign. Hope this is of some help.....
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 October 2003 14:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Youel Petrol now falls mostly under DSEAR and not the Petrol regs in most situations - as most of the petrol regs are now gone For a small vehicle with a soild wall between the driver and the fumes 2 x 1 gallon containers is acceptable without any further actions necessary.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2003 12:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By smudge Ian the regulation you are looking for is Construction and use. This requires all loads to be secured other than by their own weight if necessary. Hope this helps Smudge