Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2003 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze
One of our properties contains an external area which the local drug using fraternity like to use.

As a consequence we have a sharps problem and I am wondering what measures we should put in place in the short term for the safe handling & disposal of these items and to prevent exposure to staff and customers.

In the longer term we have plans to prevent public access to this area.

Any suggestions?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2003 19:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey
Short term, a risk assessment detailing the controls that you are putting in place.

I am always conscious you need to use the right person with the correct attitude to risk. The main problem would be blood-to-blood contact with a needle stick injury and it sounds as though this is happening on a regular basis so the risk could be real.

I would suggest a litter pick or other grab device (hard wear stores do a good range of flexi bolt retrievers which work very well) also a suitable sharps container for disposal.

Remember in your risk assessment to consider Hep B/C and HIV although the risk is incredibly low. You might want to try a container left in situ for the offenders to use, although you could argue either way on that, it will however reduce the risk.

I would normally encourage staff to wear suitable PPE (gloves,) not put their hands where they cannot see and also to adopt a methodical attitude to clearances.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2003 09:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
I wouldn't rule out the increased anxiety that the perceived risk of infection will create, regardless of the level of actual risk.

Consult your OH service regarding actual risk - and work to educate your workers on this. However, be aware that even a small risk is still a risk so have good reporting and action processes in place to deal with any needle-stick injury - prompt testing and so on. Again, your OH service can advise.

There is a greater public awareness of the danger of needle-stick injuries - unfortunately there are a number of misconceptions and urban myths that have grown up with it, so be prepared to counter it.

Perhaps you could liaise with any charity or public health bodies regarding your concerns over the activities at your premises - they might want to try and help the users with a knock-on benefit of moving them on to somewhere else! Not that I'm advocating just moving the problem on, but obviously it would be relief to you if these unfortunates no longer frequent your premises AND are receiving help with their problem.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2003 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Jonathan,

Speak to your LA Env Health / Waste Collection as they have been doing this sort of thing for years now, so they should be able to give you / share any RA or Safe working procedures they have adopted.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2003 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze
Thanks for confirming what I have already suggested and am implementing.

Just to clarify a point, do we owe a duty of care to the drug users who are trespassing on our premises to inject? - If so how do we fulfill it?

Also what about pedestrians who use the area as a shortcut outside of office hours?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2003 12:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
You certainly do mate, particularily under Occupiers Liability Acts.