Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 October 2003 15:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rik Hutchins I am currently undertaking flat roof assessments for the estates department of a large university. It has approximately 250+ flat roofs, ranging from the very large, with high volumes of plant, to small roofs with no plant on them at all. All are over 2m in height with some 14 stories high. Some of the roofs require access almost routinely with others needing access only for specific maintenance tasks or routine tasks such as gutter cleaning. Now here's the problem, some have good edge protection i.e. fixed barriers to all elevations, some have limited i.e. fixed barriers but only 600mm or so high and some have nothing what's so ever. I have read lots of literature concerning a safe place of work etc and am still unclear, I am led to believe that fixed barrier protection should be provided, painted walkways are not suitable etc. Can anyone give me a clearer understanding on what advice I should be starting from, surely I can't insist that all roofs that are accessed require fixed edge protection at least 900mm high or can I?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 October 2003 16:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CJ We had exactly the same problem. We could'nt have fixed guard rails, because it would have involved punctureing the roof, We could'nt afford a free standing handrail system, the cost would have been more than a million pounds! In the end we bought a few temporary freestanding sets, they form an L shape and are 2m by 4m, we put one on each of the roofs so if work had to be carried out they could be assembled and moved into place. they are not as restrictive as mobile man anchors but if the work is to be carried out less than 2m from the edge a man anchor would have to be worn while assembling the rails. As for gutter cleaning, we plan to get a pressure washer so the operative can stay more than 2m from the edge, however, this may cause a risk of falling materials so areas below might have to be made no entry for the duration of work. Its not a straight forward problem. good luck whatever you decide to do.