Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2003 18:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE Hi Can anyone give me some pointers of what to address when performing a R/Assessment regarding environmental issues/concerns on an office. the office is a small buisness, which would only be used for office work,no work equipment would be stored here. If anyone has performed this type of assessment and has a template that I could view this would be even better Many Thanks Steve
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2003 22:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott This is my subject! I've e-mailed you direct - Chris
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2003 22:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Wrote that before I saw you didn't have an e-mail address - Doh! Mail me.. I have templates and samples of just about every office type assessment you can want! Chris
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2003 17:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Smurfer Chris Please can you email me with same? Andy smurfer@ntlworld.com
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 November 2003 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy Steve Leeds City Council - Risk Assessment Training Leeds City Council Health and Safety Inspection Group have developed this excellent training package as part of their commitment to working with businesses to achieve safe and healthy working environments for those at work. The package combines simple and practical advice with interactive learning exercises, to take you through a comprehensive step by step guide to health and safety risk assessment. The tutorial covers the basic principles behind risk assessment, explains the requirements of the Law - along with how to achieve compliance, and gives a simple demonstration case study to show how the different elements of risk assessment can be brought together to achieve real health and safety improvements. The final stage in the training package is a mock risk assessment exercise for you to practice the techniques you have learned. Completing the tutorial will give you the information, knowledge and skills necessary to implement a successful risk assessment programme in your own place of work. www.leeds.gov.uk/risk
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 November 2003 11:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Steve, The HSE has a free booklet called 'Office Safety' and will gyuide you through the requirements of the safe working conditions with a 'low risk office environment as required by the Workplace regs etc. If you follow this make sure you comply and change / implement to ensure you do, then RA will not be necessay, why do a Risk Ass on something which you should be supplying anyway? as if you do this then the Risk would be low / insignificant. what I am really saying is undertake a 'status Review / Audit' to start, this will give a basis of where you are now and then 'fix' any non-compliance issues, use RA for Specific items which are 'a substantial Risk to Health' eg Cooling Towers, Man Hand Lifts, Gas and Leccy etc etc You can then undertake 'active monitoring' on a regular basis within the the area to ensure that any day to day lapses are identified and 'cured' before problems arise, this will ensure that it stays 'Safe & healthy'
Admin  
#7 Posted : 03 November 2003 15:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Thompson Chris , grateful if you can email the same stuff to me Regards Mark Thompson
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 November 2003 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Johnson Steve Have I missed the point or are you looking for an ENVIRONMENTAL Assessment (waste, energy, process etc.) as opposed to Health & Safety, most replies seem to be safety. Alan
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 November 2003 14:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Nice one Alan, I missed that as well. waste reduction, energy conservation, legionella, IPPC / Noise/ Nuisance / water / heating / Lighting / ventilation etc etc
Admin  
#10 Posted : 04 November 2003 17:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE Thank you for all of your contributions And yes Alan I was looking for some pointers, for the suggestions you made. I just needed to know that those where the areas that needed to be addressed Steve
Admin  
#11 Posted : 06 November 2003 20:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roy Gladwell There are three elements to consider when carrying out an environmental risk assessment Source, Pathway, Receptor, without any one of them you will not have an environmental risk. There are two parts to the operation of a buisness that have to be considered Aspects & Impacts Aspects, those elements of an organisations activities, products or services that could or do result in environmental impact. Impacts, environmental changes that occur wholly or partly, as aconsequence of an organisations aspects. Regards Roy