Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2003 10:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jon
Hi everyone

I am reasonably new to the profession and I am finding it difficult researching some facts and figures.

I am trying to produce a "Briefing Note" for the employees about H&S at home with seasonal topics eg crimbo lights/decorations winter driving etc for this time of year(firework safety seamed easier)
I am looking for statistics, tips,cartoon anything really to make the note informative without seeming oppresive.

If anyone has any ideas that I can include that would also be usefull.
My colleagues are very H&S conscious at work so I am now trying to advise them further.
Thanks for looking at this and your assistance in advance

Regards Jon
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2003 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Des Daly
Jon,

Friend of mine told me that in the USA there are average 300 fatalities a year from people falling from ladders in domestic situations. It seems that during the lead up to Christmas and again at the start of the outside DIY season the rate soars - may be a way of introducing the importance of safe use of ladders and this could lead on to the forthcoming Working at Height Regs. and the requirement to risk assess all work from ladders - ladders might be a versatile tool but used incorrectly and they are a deadly killer.

Des Daly
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 October 2003 12:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett
Hi Jon

Every year I get sent a spoof risk assessment for Father Christmas - manual handling the pressies, ticks from the reindeer, working at height, soot is a carcinogen etc. Ho ho ho. Anyway, you could knock up something similar as an icebreaker and then go on to all the stuff you've mentioned. One thing I've emphasised in the past is the hidden alcohol such as liquer chocs (yuck), sherry in the trifle, brandy on the pud, and so on, which means that people genuinely trying to stay okay to drive inadvertently go way over the limit. Hope this helps! Regards, Z
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2003 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave
Many Fire Brigades put out seasonal fire safety advice. One of the more festive looking ones is from West Sussex Brigade.
http://www.wsfb.co.uk/xmassafety.htm

Gilly
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2003 13:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
RoSPA have a number of factsheets, many dealing with household issues. Try:

http://www.rospa.co.uk/CMS/

You should find something there that will help.