Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2003 16:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ben Bishop
Could anyone help me with information, publications etc on procedures for emergency evacuation from boarding school accomodation areas (evenings and overnight). All physical systems are modern and in order for fire spread reduction, warning systems, lighting, signs etc. The actual response though relies heavily on education and training of the pupils to do the right thing. Is this enough?
Thanks in advance

Ben
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2003 23:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pope
Regarding boarding schools several documents refer to the need for procedures but none seem to indicate exactly how. It is really a matter for those with the pastoral responsibility to achieve as effective a roll call as possible. Every boarding house I am involved with (part of my workload is to advise independant schools) seems to go about this in their own way, utilising the house staff in the most effective way. In one house where there are both dorms and individual cubicles ("rooms) - pupils who demonstrate the ability to sleep through alarms are woken by monitors. I would always insist that an adult takes the roll however. Why not ask the local fire authority. Both Dorset and Somerset are keen to participate in drills to exercise their own readiness and to get to know the school layout. I guess you have looked at the Boarding Schools association, the DfES and the HSE "fire safety for employers" - although there is no specific guidance in them for your particular enquiry.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 November 2003 22:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Are you able to supplement the 'evacuate, assemble, roll-call' response with a 'fire warden' system relying upon them to respond, awaken heavy sleepers, report areas free of persons, etc? Presumably you have a practice drill each Term?