Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 November 2003 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Darren Honeyford Hi Just wondering if anyone would like to give me their opinion, I have recently been walking around one of my employers buildings and was told that in the event of an emergency situation approx 10-12 employees make their way through an exit door into a large plant room then approx 12-15 feet to final exit door (the tidiest plant room I have seen), out to make their way round to their assemble point. My concerns are the fact that these members of staff make their way through this nearest exit out via the plant room, However my view would be to direct, with training, staff members to the preferred exits (which there are 2) out which are a little further around the office, all part of the risk assessment and training process. Any views please Regards Darren Honeyford
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 November 2003 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun mckeever The exit route should not take you from an area of relatively low risk to an area of relatively high risk such as through a plant room. If the alternative exits you refer to are within acceptable travel distances and are part of a protected route then I can't see any problem. The routes should be clearly indicated and should be provided with escape lighting. If the building has a fire alarm then there should also be a break-glass call point in the exit route, normally adjacent to the exit.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2003 14:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson Why not contact your fire safety inspection officer. He will provide the appropriate advice / suggest various options.