Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2003 17:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ewan Ross There are a number of proposals in my local area for the construction of Wind Farms. I fully support the need to use renewable energy sources and as such support wind farms in the correct environment. I write to gain advice on any potential health & safety hazards associated with onshore wind farm developments.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2003 09:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Assuming you are referring to the general public, this has been raised on the forum before and can be found at the following address: http://www.iosh.co.uk/in...m=1&thread=5519&page=401 There is also anecdotal evidence from the Iberian peninsula of injuries caused by people tilting at windmills. If you are referring to construction & maintenance work by employees/ contractors, then the usual issues of work relatied safety will apply (working at height, moving machinery, entrapment, electrocution etc.) and these would be controlled by the usual heirarchy of protection measures. Balanced against this is the fact that wind power has been harnessed by humans for millennia across the world (milling, land drainage, transportation etc.) without any major reported adverse health & safety effects. It is a lot less atmospherically polluting form of energy generation than fossil fuel or nuclear power stations and that is generally considered 'a good thing'. Best of luck on what I can only describe as a Quixotic quest.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 November 2003 21:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roy Gladwell The burning of fossil fuels, coal, gas and oil, to utilise the energy they contain, is the major cause of poor air quality, acidification, and climate change (due to carbon dioxide emissions). Renewable energy does not have these polluting effects, but the potential for other effects make environmental impact appraisals essential for all generation methods.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 November 2003 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor They're even taller than juggernauts, Michael, but I do take your point and support the sentiment. Whilst the question is about health and safety issues, the point about environmental assessment is well made. They manufacture these here on the Isle of Wight but, to date, have not installed any on the Island. There is a proposal to put them on top of the downs in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) which is being strongly opposed by a local action group for environmental reasons (including noise, visual impact and disturbance to wildlife in an area visited extensively by tourists, ramblers, bird-watchers, etc). They argue for wave power as being a more environmentally friendly and reliable alternative as the wind can vary from 0 to 100mph whereas the sea is always on the move and there's a lot of it close at hand.