Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 November 2003 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By wayne hodges on a recent course a major issue was raised about the inclusion of H&S stats being included in future annual reports. has anyone covered this yet and could they let me see how they produced the finished article?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2003 20:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion There is on the IOSH web page a report on it. I had trouble finding it. If you mail direct can send it to you pdf file. Jeff Manion
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 November 2003 07:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim O'Dwyer Hello Wayne, You may like to take a peek at HSE Research Report 134 on "The provision of health and safety information in the annual reports and other publicly available documents produced by the UK's top companies and a sample of government departments, agencies, local authorities and NHS trusts". ISBN 0 7176 2710 1 The study was undertaken to evaluate the effectiveness of Action Points 2 and 13 of the HSC's Revitalising Health and Safety Strategy Statement (2000) which challenged the UK's top companies and public bodies to publicly report on health and safety matters. Best wishes, Jim O'Dwyer
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 November 2003 08:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Having had a squint at the RR Jim referenced, I would comment on the performance reporting aspect - it is vital that we have a standardised method of reporting so we understand and agree on terminology and definitions. I frequently have problems entering our safety performance figures in commercial tender bids as each company seems to have a different interpretation for the same thing and I need to modify the results accordingly! I am also against filtering - I beleive that there should be a category for "all safety-related reports" as a catch all, especially for potential loss (near miss) incidents. However, I suspect that many companies are mortally afraid of publishing their actual results in case it "looks bad", as people might interpret high numbers as being bad. In a way they are, but recording it it is a long way down the raod to improving it. Kidding on all is well by under-reporting is a scourge in our particular field and I don't think mandatory reporting will do anything to improve that, UNLESS the categorisations are unequivocal and the issue is properly followed-up for enforcement. A level playing field is what is required.