Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2003 06:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By K. Babu Rao There is a proposal to set up an Ethylene dichloride plant in our state in India. The plant uses 9.3 tonnes per hour of chlorine. Environmental Impact Assessment report submitted for clearance claims use of one tonners for chlorine supply. In one part of the EIA they propose to unload the tonners into a storage tank. But in risk assessment chapter they say that as tonners are used for chlorine supply no risk assessmnet is necessary. At the required rate of 9.3 tph on an average a cylinder gets emptied every 6.5 minutes. It means continuous handling of heavy cylinders day in and day out. Is it safe? Is it a normal practice in industry to draw chlorine at such high rates from a bank of cylinders? Please give your suggestions. Regards, K. Babu Rao
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2003 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley K. Babu Rao, I share your concerns for the overall safety of this operation. Without more details of your facility it its difficult to provide sound advice. There are guidelines for a whole range of Chlorine operations available from; Euro Chlor - Avenue E. Van Nieuwenhuyse 4, Box 2 - B-1160 Brussels. Tel: 32-(0)2-6767265 Fax: 32-(0)2-6767241 Also I suggest you contact other producers such as Ineos Chlor, Runcorn, Cheshire, England. They have an EDC plant and are major chlorine producers. Regards Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 November 2003 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi From your e-mail address, I presume that you are from Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad, India. If the consumption of chlorine is 9.3 tonnes per hour using 1 tonne cylinders, then the consumption will be about 9 to 10 cylinders per hour, assuming that the reference is to normal temperature and pressure. I cannot see how cylinders will have to be changed every 6.5 minutes if you are referring to the same 1 tonne cylinders. There is UK regulatory priced guidance regarding the storage & use of chlorine. It does not cover environmental impact. The bibliographic details are:- “Safety advice for bulk chlorine installations” Health and Safety Executive booklet; HS(G)28(rev) ISBN: 0717616452 “Safe handling of chlorine from drums and cylinders” Health and Safety Executive booklet; HS(G)40(rev) ISBN : 0717616460 In UK, such a site would genearlly be under the scope of COMAH regulations, depending upon storage and production rates. There is a “Safety Report Assessment Guide: Chlorine” on the HSE Hazardous Installations Directorate website:- http://www.hse.gov.uk/hid/sragchl/index.htm There are other useful resources on the HSE Hazardous Installations Directorate website:- http://www.hse.gov.uk/hid/land/comah2/index.htm However, you need to take into consideration that the requirement relates to UK regulations.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 November 2003 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By K. Babu Rao Dear Mr. Bob Pedley, Thanks for the response. In the proposed plant EDC is produced by direct chlorination process. Ethylene is either imported are made in the plant from ethyl alcohol by dehydration process. Ethylene is stored in semirefrigerated tanks under presure. Chlorine is transported in tonners from a chlor alkali plant at a distance of 400 kms. EDC production capacity is 100,000 tpa or 12.5 tph. EDC produced is transported in road tankers to a plant producing vinyl chloride at another site 500 km from the EDC plant. Raw material consuptions for the technology adopted are: Ethylene 3.75 tph Chlorine 9.3 tph Every hour nearly 10 chlorine cylinders get emptied. It leads to continuous cylinder handling work. I am concerned about the safety of such activity. Is there a better way? I will try to contact the companies you listed for suggestions. What is the maximum amount of chlorine that could be drawn from a bank of tonner cylinders safely in actual industrial practice? regards, K. Babu Rao
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 November 2003 17:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By K. Babu Rao Thank you Mr. Jay Joshi. I am glad you know our institute. May I know how you are familiar with our institute. It is a continuous process and let us say there are two banks 10 cylinders each. First ten cylinders are emptied in an hour, and we switch over to the second bank of cylinders. Then you have to replace all these 10 empty cylinders in an hours time. That leaves 6 minutes to handle each. I do not know if there is a way of taking out all the 10 cylinders at a time. daily 224 tonners have to be handled. this is what concerns us. I will check the references you gave. Thanks again, K. Babu Rao
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 November 2003 16:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley K.Babu Rao, The EDC plant I have experience of used a continuous feed of chlorine from two different donor plants. The Ineos plant I referred to earlier still handle various sizes of chlorine cylinders and would be your best source of advice on that front. Road tankers at 20te each load are the norm over here for chlorine supply to many plants. On our plant we did have intermediate storage tanks in various sizes to provide buffer storage to EDC and Ethyl Chloride production plants. Our safety case considered the number of times chlorine connections are made and broken as being potentially the most hazardous operation. The plant I used to work on has now closed down but much of the equipment is still there. Please e-mail boba.pedley@wgint.com for further contact details if you need them. Regards Bob