Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2003 11:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt I attended a lightning protection workshop recently, where the issue of risk assessment for buildings was raised. I found it extremely interesting as it is an area I had never considered in terms of health and safety previously. I found out that the UK is "mapped" according to the likelihood of a lightning strike, that brick buildings are more likely to be struck than metal ones and that placing an aerial (or mobile phone mast) on top of a building does not necessarily increase the risk of a lightning strike if it is placed near the centre of the roof and doesn't increase the overall "collection area" of the building. So when colleagues are conducting risk assessments of buildings, it is maybe a question that can be asked i.e. has a lightning risk assessment been carried out and does the building have lightning protection. Regards, Eric
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2003 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gordon Thelwell Interesting stuff Eric. Question: Is it true that lightning does actually strike twice and therefore if a building has been struck before, the likelihood of it being struck again is higher than normal? Regards, Gordon.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2003 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Gordon Unfortunately there appears to be an element of luck (or should I say bad luck) as to where the cloud passes the building. However, if a building is taller than those around it, this will increase the risk of it being struck. Lightning usually strikes the corner of a building so this would be where lightning protection would be placed. There was no mention of lightning not striking twice - I tend to think that it would if the circumstances were right. There is also the issue of surge protection for buildings - a lightning strike could wipe out computers and other electrical equpment if not protected so this is also an area to be considered in terms of overall risk management. Do you regularly back up your data, and if so, is this done off site? Regards, Eric
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2003 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson Perhaps I am unlucky but our buildings, which do have lightning protection, have been struck a number of times. Although we do have surge protection built in we have on occasions lost some equipment. So back up essential data. I might add we are at one of the higher points in Essex (its not all flat), 90 feet above sea level and have some residential towers. Perhaps a timely reminder that many years ago radioactive sealed sources formed part of lightning protection systems due to the belief that they enhanced the system. That use is no longer permitted but there is always the chance that on very old systems and buildings a radioactive source may still be present. Which will have to be disposed of using a disposal route approved by the Environment Agency.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 November 2003 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I once went into this topic in some depth with the CAA - ref radar and radio masts, but unfortunately I've forgotten most of it. I haven't heard of radioactive arrestors before (seems a bit dicey if they exploded) but I do seem to remember you need different protection for the direction of the lightning ie discharge to earth and discharge from earth. PS: I still haven't found Chester!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 November 2003 16:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Geoff There are 4 types of ground to cloud lightning apparently, positive to ground, negative to ground, positive to cloud and negative to cloud. Positive to ground is the most common. We had a presentation from a company called Furse who seem to be experts in this area. It was very interesting. Chester is a beautiful Roman-walled city which boasts an abundance of architecture and history. It is easily accessed by road (at the end of the M53 just off the M56) or rail. The city has a wealth of shops and restaurants to cater for every taste, and visitors should ensure that they stock up on a good supply of camera film to capture the ambience. Accommodation is readily available, ranging from the more celubrious 5 star hotels boasting international standard golf courses, to the cosy bed and breakfast establishments which are situated within walking distance of the city centre. Well Geoff - you DID ask!! Regards Eric
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 November 2003 17:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Please Eric, no more. I promise I won't mention Chester again!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 November 2003 18:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Perhaps this subject should be added to NEBOSH training! It seems to be quite a complicated area in which to assess but we do have reference to whether lightening protection is present within our fire risk assessments. Upon once recommending the installation of lightning protection to a building, I was informed that the adjacent local church provided a 'cone of protection' making this unnecessary. It wasn't until lightening actually struck (avoiding the church) that this view was found to be inaccurate! Is there any simple guidance on this for H&S practitioners or is this another job for expensive consultants?