Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2003 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth Can anybody help me out with some advice on the siting of fire assembly points. I need to identify new assembly points because of changes to the site layout and I am constrained by space limitations. I believe BSI 5588 'Places of Assembly' covers this area but I do not have access to this publication. Thank you
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2003 13:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Malcolm It might be worth having a chat with your local Fire Officer, as they may be able to give you some good advice as to where to site the Assembly/ Muster points. They may wish them to be palced in certain areas, so as not to impede the access of the fire tenders, and also to ensure the safety of your staff in numerous possible scenarios. Regards Nick.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2003 14:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt I agree. Our assembly areas are sited so that, if people go to them (as they should!) they will not be run over by the fire engine. They are fairly close to the buildings, and their primary function is to have people in a small number of well-defined places, so that they can be given the all-clear, or in the event of real fire, be told to move further away to a place of safety. One important point is to ensure that the assembly areas are not in places where the people could become trapped by a fire. Jane