Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2003 12:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson I'm trying to create a checklist of all statutory & good practice inspections & testing. So far off the top of my head I have the following: Legionella hazards; Power presses; Scaffolds (including towers); Excavations; Pressure systems; LEV; Portable appliances & fixed wiring; Equipment safety devices & controls; Mobile equipment (including fork trucks); First-aid materials; Asbestos materials; PPE/RPE (& face fit); Lifting equipment; Steam systems; Behaviour; Work & workplaces; Fire precautions (see separate list); Radioactive substances; Exposure to agents Can you people help me add to the list? I'm bound to have left out loads of important stuff.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 November 2003 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke Noise and vibration? Linda
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2003 21:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Hello Neil You have left out the "important stuff" - what business are you in or are you putting together a generic list to cover everything? Regards David B
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2003 12:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Electritiy, Gas, Water, Waste, Food, LOLER, Drainage, heating, Lighting, Ventilation, welfare facilities, Access for Disabled, General access/egress, Vehicular movement, Pest control, DSE, Man Hand, glazing, working at height, working over water. MOT, Driving licence, Insurance to use own car on business, Insurance certs PI, EL, Fire Cert/ Fire RA, CDM
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2003 16:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson Thanks for the responses. The aim is to get together a generic list for use in auditing. I was thinking of specific inspection/testing requirements that one would expect to see records of, rather than all H&S issues. For example, I would not include glazing in this particular list (thanks for the suggestion though) as it is not normally a specific item one would expect inspection or test records for. That would be more in the way of a general workplace monitoring regime. I will email a completed list to anyone responding to this thread or expressing an interest - this should help us all, I think. In the meantime, please keep the suggestions coming!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2003 12:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Ashton Neil, to repeat David Bristow's earlier comment - it all depends on the industry you're in... e.g. healthcare - water temperature / radiator surface temperature, (+ patient records?) etc.... food premises - refrigerator records , food temp records rail / nuclear / leisure rides / solaria...... The records required depend on the 'standards' applicable - whether defined in legislation, acops, BS/ISO, industry standards (NHS / Rail Group / NICEEIC), Company Standards / Group Standards etc etc. Good luck, but I suspect you're trying to paint the Forth Bridge.....it's an endless task, since the first bit will need re-doing by the time you've got to the end.... And if you don't want 'general H&S issues' - where have you drawn your lines when you include 'work/workplace' and 'behaviour' - neither of which have nationally recognised inspection / test standards that I am aware of (unless you are in a very specific industry sector???
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 November 2003 15:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tracey Thompson how about work permits (confined spaces, hot works etc.), power tools, fume cupboards, plant (fixed and mobile), automatic dosing systems & plant(swimming pools), heating and air-conditioning plant systems, telephone and computer systems.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 November 2003 18:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson I completely agree, this is a badly-defined idea. I know what I want, but it's hard to express exactly. Anyway, you've all given me some ideas, so thanks for that.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 19 November 2003 11:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Ladders
Admin  
#10 Posted : 21 November 2003 15:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ray king I've just posted a thread on creating a Ladder register, if you have got anything to help me, I would appreciate it. Thanx kaye