Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2003 14:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ray king I've been asked to create a Ladder register, It will accommodate at least 500 buildings, as anyone got any advise.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2003 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Ray, I got a kit from Scafftag for £27.50 that had 10 ladder tags, 10 inserts and a pen (others were trying to charge me £7.00 for one tag!). I guess you will have to get someone to be responsible for each of the buildings to create a register of ladders, from which you create a master. All ladders then get assigned a unique ID code. The laddertags have a space on them for the reference number. Once you get the laddertag system up and running, you will easily see any ladders that have been missed (they will have no tag) and then they can be inspected, tagged and added to the register. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2003 12:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Oliver Ray, i would suggest that you start by creating a policy on ladder use and working at height as a whole. your policy could include types and uses of ladders, visual inspection prior to use, defect reporting procedures, training requirements etc. creating a list of ladders not only identifies the use of these items of work equipment but also identifys a need to manage the use of the equipment. it may seem over the top but i have dealt with HSE inspectors who have wanted to see training documentation for the use of ladders, risk assessments showing the use of ladders with suitable control measures, and also ladders inspection checklists. bearing in mind that work at height is a HSE Action area, it can attract a lot of attention should something go wrong. however with a suitale managemernt plan in place i see no reason why the issue cannot be suitably managed. contact HSE books as they can provide you with suitbale material, videos etc.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2003 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson I have used Scafftag and the system is very good, can be used for all access equipment!