Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2003 16:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth
We have got a site relocation coming up in the near future and are required to move a number of 'heavy'storage cabinets from a ground floor location to a first floor in a different building. I have done a very brief initial assessment of the task and am ok with people carrying out simple moving at ground level but not too happy with having people manhandling these cabinets up the stairs. Has anybody had experience of this sort of thing and can offer a solution? I am thinking of such things as stair climber truck/trolley but fear it would not be substantial enough.The only other option I guess is to bring in the professionals.

I cannot provide details of the measurements of the cabinet but they are about the size of a standard single wardrobe - nor am I able to provide details of the weight save to say they are pretty heavy!!

Dismantling and rebuilding them is not an option and neither is lifting them to window height from the outside.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2003 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott
Malcolm - if you have not got the kit or the expertise to move these in house - get the professionals in. There are plenty of removals companies would only be too pleased to quote you for this work - they have the trained manpower and the necessary powered stair walkers to make this task "sorted".
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 November 2003 20:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Longthorne
Hello Malcolm,

We use Electric stair barrows (ESB's) or power crawlers. The ESB's have a SWL of 532kgs and the PK will take a 1000kgs. You will obviously need to provide training to use the equipment and they do not come cheap between 2 and 4k. If you decide to get in the professionals let me know and I will give you the details. The good thing with this is that they will provide you with a method statement and risk assessment.

I hope this helps !!!

Ken
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2003 08:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth
Thank you for your responses - I am pleased to report that those concerned have seen the light and have now decided that the cabinets can be dismantled after all. Result!