Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2003 06:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Sargeant
Hi everyone, can you help. I have been told by a trade organisation that CSCS cards will be a legal requirement (statutory) on sites run by the major contractors group and federation of major contractors next year. Is this true? and if so can anyone shed any light under which regulations this will be enforced? or have I been given duff information?
Look forward to your replies and any opinions you may have about the CSCS scheme.
Graham.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2003 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy
Visit the CSCS web site at http://www.cscs.uk.com/default.asp.

You will find out all you need from there.

Regards, John
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2003 22:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JamesK
CSCS scheme is up and running here in Ireland. It is having a great impact on safety on sites. The only problem that I see with it is that some companies cannot afford to send all their people on the courses which cost €350 a time. One man on one machine is €350...
But as I said...it is having a great impact on safety..
As a safety officer that frequents sites every day, the CSCS scheme makes my life a lot easier.
Jim
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 November 2003 14:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Webber
Graham,
The Construction Skills Certification Scheme is a voluntary CITB scheme that has been adopted by the MCG and some of the larger Clients.

Its aim is to provide clients and principal contractors with a means of measuring one aspect of operative competency as all holders of the CSCS card have undertaken some training.

The scheme is NOT statutory but those who do not possess a CSCS card may be denied access to some sites run by supporters of the scheme.

Under legislation such as CDMR Clients, Principal Contractors and others must employ competent persons. The CSCS card is one indicator of a level of competence. So not law, just good practice!!

Richard
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 November 2003 21:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Sargeant
Thanks all for your replies, this confirmed what I suspected, the information I have recieved from a trade body is duff, or thier safety advisor is mis-informed? As I have said before I am a fan of CSCS and hope it continues to become the norm.
Thanks
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 December 2003 11:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis MSc MIOSH RSP
Have you contacted the MCG themselves? My information is that they will require 100% of those on their sites to have a CSCS card from the turn of the year
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 December 2003 11:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch
Graham

See

http://www.thecc.org.uk/index.asp?page=ourpolicy

to compare eg MCG position (100% competent workforce by end 2003) with eg CECA strategy.

In practice MCG members unlikely to meet their policy targets not least since all the driving test centres are struggling to cope with the late demand to try and meet the deadline.

Regards, Peter
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 December 2003 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By johnwaterson
In heard that a few of the MCG have withdrawn from the scheme. Can anyone shed some light on that rumour.
I am all for safe work and sites, as I have been on a few where it is non existent. What about all those who cannot speak or understand English, it seems to stink a little bit. Especially when it is £35.00 a test and then another £25.00 for a re-test. Someone somewhere is making a profit.