Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 December 2003 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sharon Hi, Our dept works on a mezz floor, we have one entrance which is up a flight of metal stairs. We have no other escape route if a fire breaks out at the bottom of these stairs. We have been told that we should jump out of a window which is in an office adjacent, currently locked, or we could jump out of some doors which are used to pass heavy items into the stores area, there is a barrier right in front of these doors too. Out side the window and door is a roadway which is used by wagons, FLT's and vehicles. Does anyone know what the correct procedure should be as I know this can not be correct.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 December 2003 16:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Sharon Could a fire start at the bottom of the stairs? If there is only one escape route, I would expect the fire risk assessment to recognise the potential and identify the need to keep combustible materials and ignition sources away from the area (especially if another escape route could not be provided). Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 December 2003 17:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Hi Sharon, you haven't stated whether your building is subject to a fire certificate or not? By looking at this you could find out if the fire exit route has been approved or not. However, you may be surprised to learn that escape in only one direction is permissible as long as prescribed travel distance from any point in the area to a storey exit i.e. an exit where the person is not at immediate risk from the effects of the fire, is not exceeded. For an office location of normal risk level this would be 25 metres. Travel distance must take into account the actual distance travelled between any point in the area to the nearest story exit i.e. the distance travelled taking into account office layout and furniture etc. Only in exceptional circumstance can windows be permitted as a means of escape and this requires that special conditions are met e.g. not used by more than 10 able bodied persons, suitable steps provided, the external surface is level and unobstructed and the height of the windowsill is no higher than 1.1 metres amongst others conditions. If the travel distance criteria in your area is not exceeded and one escape route is actually suitable for your office, then obviously it is vital that the protected escape route is kept clear of all combustible materials and all doors leading to it are kept closed with automatic door closers to ensure it does not become smoke logged. This situation can be enhanced by having a forced ventilation system along the escape route. I hope this helps and please feel free to let me know how you get on.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2003 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor It is difficult to answer fully from the information given and without seeing the premises but it seems that you may have both a work area and an office at mezzanine level served at storey exit by an unprotected accommodation staircase. If seeing a fire certificate doesn't help, ask the local fire officer to visit as provision may not be adequate.