Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2004 01:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David .J. Minnery
Control Of Asbestos at Work Regulations- Regulation 4 -assess the likely presence of asbestos in properties [owners/occupiers].
Would a Housing Association be required to assess all their properties including tenants homes for the presence of asbestos?
Although they are tenants homes, I maintain that they are still places of work for those expected to carry out maintenance and repairs [and the fact that tenants should be aware of any asbestos and where it is in case they disturb it carrying out improvements/decoration themselves]. Housing Association believe that to comply with the legislation they only have to assess common areas and not the whole property. Comments would be appreciated!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2004 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Daly
I carry out asbestos surveys for a variety of organisations including some housing associations. There is little consistency from one association to another. Some associations take the view that they are in the business of providing housing for which they charge a commercial rent - therefore, although to the tenant the property is domestic, to the association the properties are commercial. I have also carried out a number of Type 3 surveys prior to demolition even for associations who consider they have responsibility only for the common areas.
Your other point about responsibility for maintenance workers is also valid. The association does owe these people a duty of care, I don't think you will receive much sympathy if a case was ever brought to court if you tried to limit your responsibility to only common areas.
Two other points worth considering:-
1. If asbestos containing materials are discovered in the common areas there is a probability that they will also exist elsewhere. Would you still be comfortable about inspecting only the common areas?
2. Does a housing association owe a duty of care to the tenants? If a tenant makes an asbestos related claim against an association will responsibility for only common areas be a sufficient defence?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2004 10:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
The duty to manage asbestos under the CAW Regs applies only to non-domestic premises. Imagine the implications for local authorities if they had to commission surveys of thousands of housing stock properties. However, in carrying out work in domestic properties, risk assessments (including asbestos hazards) should be undertaken and adequate controls employed. In terms of good practice, we have surveyed our workplaces including the common parts of domestic premises and sample residential properties. It would be interesting to hear how others have addressed this issue.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2004 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond
I'm glad you raised this one. I work for an organisation that runs care homes for people with learning disabilities. These are not like mini hospitals. Most are like normal houses in a typical resistential street with 3 to 4 clients.

To our staff they are a workplace but to our clients they are non-domestic premises. Most are owned by housing associations - so we are writing to them to ask them to compile asbestos registers but I'm not sure how much we can push this.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2004 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Moore
David,

Although there may not be a duty under CAW Regs 2002 there is a legal duty under the Defective Premises Act 1972 to take reasonable care to see that tenants and other people are safe from personal injury or disease caused by a defect in the state of the premises. (HSE, L127, Page 2, Para.7).

CAW does however apply to any communal areas such as foyers, corridors, lift shafts.

This is explained much better in the guidance - L127 The management of asbestos in non-domestic premises.

Hope this is of help

Mick
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2004 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Nigel
Interesting one this - but taking up the fact that CAW 2002 applies to non-domestic premises, or the non -domestic part(s), then the answer will lie in whether there is any form of tenancy agreement with the house occupants. If there is then it becomes in my view a domestic premise and is exempt. Without a formal tenancy the regs have to be applied.

Bob

Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2004 13:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Following on from Robert's point: I have taken our residential and nursing care accommodation and school boarding as being non-domestic but our sheltered accommodation, almshouses school-keepers houses and the like as being domestic (and so had sample flats surveyed).
Admin  
#8 Posted : 08 January 2004 19:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Thank you to everyone who responded, it would appear that several different interpretations could apply in this case.

I am aware that the regulation refers to non-domestic premises, but the fact remains that domestic premises are quite often a place of work for employees and contractors carrying out repairs and improvements. If someone at IOSH technical information would like to enter into the debate and give their understanding/interpretation of this thread.
Houses are domestic premises to tenants but a place of work to Housing Association employees and contractors where do we draw the line? I know what I would do, how about you?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 08 January 2004 20:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Dear All,

In general, premises are domestic premises if people live there and have control of the premises. In these cases the duty no manage asbestos in them does not apply. However, whilst the Reg 4 duty does not apply all other duties within CAW 2002 do apply to works on or likely to affect asbestos within those premises.

Common parts of buildings are non-domestic in that people do not live in them, therefore Reg 4 does apply to these parts. Domestic premises if vacant may or may not be domestic premises dependant upon the facts. For example if the property is vacant for a day whilst new tenants move in I doubt whether a court would hold it to be a non-domestic property, however it were vacant for weeks or months or if works were being carried out whilst it was vacant then it would be most probably be held to be a non-domestic property and as such Reg 4 would apply.

Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#10 Posted : 09 January 2004 22:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
The point is, David, that whether or not premises become places of work from time to time, while they are domestic the Regulation 4 management of asbestos duty under CAW Regs does not apply - but much of the other legislation for health and safety at work does - including the need to protect employees and others from asbestos risks arising from the work activity. Despite this, many of us go further in this respect but cannot practicably survey all our domestic premises to the extent of CAW standards. Perhaps landlords, etc will be required to do this in the future but it would be a difficult and daunting task.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 10 January 2004 01:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Thanks to all who replied.
I do know that some local Authorities are test sampling one or two of every different type of dwelling that they have, mainly because these dwellings become places of work for their employees and contractors.
Personally, I think that this is an example of good practice only to be encouraged further for other organisations in similar situations.

Thanks again.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 14 January 2004 20:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Some thoughts on the issue:

1) As asbestos will, if present be encountered in maintenance works to rented properties, there is risk of exposure to both employees and tenants.

It would make sound sense therefore to be aware of the likely types and locations of asbestos containing materials to assits in

a) preventing exposure
b) taking preventive risk measures for cetain types of work

2) As many rented properties are ex Local Authority stock, built as the same time and to same specifications (i.e. housing estates) the need to survey could be limited to a few differing types of housing stock to provide a good overall picture, thus reducing costs

3) although there is an 'exemption for domestic properties per se, with the exclusion of 'common parts' (ie. stair wells in flats etc), works to all parts of properties, if rented, would I suggest fall within the undertaking of the housing company (see Regina - V - Associated Octel), thus there may well be a legal duty to survey prior to any works commencing to ensure SFARP that persons are not exposed to risks from ACM's

4) other threads currently running also look at the type of survey to undertake, beit type 1 or 2. Type 1 (presumtive) may well be a false economy when works will progress at some time, whereas type 2 would provide a good indication of what was present and where.

5) the issue of insurance also raises it's head here in respect of the potential to expose not only employees and contractors to risk, but also tenants. The need to assauge insurance companies and reduce costs may have to be considered, as would the likely costs resulting from exposure to ACM's (even if unknown to be present) as a result of surveys not being undertaken to ascertain risk!!

Admin  
#13 Posted : 15 January 2004 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steven Mills
With regards to whether property is classed as domestic or not, what category do homeworker's houses come under? Bearing in mind that other staff may visit, i.e. IT dept
Admin  
#14 Posted : 15 January 2004 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Domestic - unless they have a separate room or rooms used solely as a workplace (and, presumably, claimed as such for tax purposes).