Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2004 13:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Wason
I am due to start in a new post in the near future and was wondering if anyone has any hints or tips regarding organising a filing system for health and safety information etc as I will not have any admin support and I am a bit of a novice in this area. Any pointers to useful websites would also be welcome.

With thanks
Stuart
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2004 14:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Stewart,

You only need two webistes - and you're already on one of them! The other is the HSE - they have a wealth of info available on most, if not all, safety topics and you can even download the free booklets in PDF formats. Can't get closer to the horses mouth, as it were.

Over time you'll probably end up with a raft of website links in your favourites. Most of mine have come from answers people have put on this forum!

Good luck in your new position and make good use of this forum, as it is an invaluable source of advice, discussion and encouragement. It certainly helps me.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2004 17:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion
Unable to help with filing.
We have free down-loads on our web page that you are free to use.
www.groveservices.co.uk

Jeff Manion. MIOSH RSP MRSH MIIRSM etc
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 January 2004 22:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I have e-mailed you at the link supplied.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 January 2004 00:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Miriam
Stuart: Adopt the K.I.S (Keep it Simple) approach. The test of any good filing system whether its held manually or electronically is that it should be quick and easy for information to be found, not just by yourself but by others if you're not around. An alphabetical system is the simplest, but where you have different topics with the same letter, as is the case in H&S, use a SIMPLE alpha/numeric system. Depending on how much information you've already got, you can start off with one file divided/subdivided into different Sections. Just as an example:
Section C:
C1 = COSHH
C2 = Chemicals (CHIP)
C3 = Confined Space
C1, C2, C3 being subsections under letter C.
As your filing system grows (as it will!) have separate files for the different letters of the alphabet/topics. There maybe something on the web or a book in the business section of your local library on "How to...set up a filing system", but the key is to K.I.S and don't MISFILE anything!!! I hope this helps. Miriam
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 January 2004 21:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton
I always thought it was the K I S S principle
Keep it Simple(Safe) Stupid! But I may be wrong!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2004 23:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Miriam
Yes, Robin you're right. It is as the Americans say 'Keep it simple stupid' = KISS.
But rather than cause offence by using the word 'stupid', I decided to 'Keep it Simple'= KIS! Miriam
Admin  
#8 Posted : 13 January 2004 08:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I, also, have apprehensions regarding the KISS mnemonic, Miriam, and whilst appreciating that the published material bearing that name may work effectively for some recipients, have refrained from purchasing this in order to avoid implying insult to others - thereby nullifying or reducing their apprehension of the health and safety message. Simplicity is good but insult, at best, questionable.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2004 23:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
My old safety manager showed me a great system by just using (my documents).

He was storing thousands of Information letters etc. He used some reference and code system which also pointed him to related documents for ongoing work.

This did however take some time to perfect.

Its something I will be trying to duplicate when employment visits my doorstep.