Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2004 20:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dean Scopes
We regularly install temporary (6-18 months or so) racking for the storage of goods to be used during the installation on a project site. We at present use dexian or similar style racks or sometimes we receive containers for storage that come with wooden racks inside of them.
Does any one know if there is a specific legal requirement to certify the racks before use?
Do we need to ScafTag the racks or apply a load capacity label of some sort to identify their load capability?
Do they need to be checked by a competent person and what would deem competent in this case?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2004 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Barthrope
Dean

I believe it is good practice to have the SWL clearly marked on the side of such racking, especially where this can be obtained from the supplier of the system.

I too would be interested to hear from anybody that knows of the wearabouts of any written requirements for this, which I assume would be wrapped up in a BS...... or under the banner of PUWER or LOLER etc.

Thought I would respond to keep the thread in view though.

Good luck

Alan B
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2004 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By mike.mcdonnell
WE use Storage Equipment Safety Services SESS (www.sess.co.uk) to undertake this task on our behalf.

Regards

Mike
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2004 10:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams
We are just going through the same process.
Racking is considered to be work equipment under PUWER and as such requires an inspection/maintenance regime.
The Storage Equipment Manufacturer's Association (www.sema.org.uk) produces ACOPs and guides you to members who can provide training and inspection services.
Our own action was to get a professional inspection and report, rectify deficiencies and then get one of our own people trained to carry out our own inspections with the professional inspection as a base line.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2004 13:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marc Hebron
Hi Dean,
We use SESS to undertake racking inspections every year. They also do a good Racking awareness course that teaches you to inspect racking, I have been on this course and now I carry out monthly inspections of our racking.
The racking inspector has informed me that in the case of a racking collapse one of the first things a HSE inspector will look for is a load notice.

Hope this helps.

Marc..
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2004 14:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dean Scopes
I understand the link with PUWER 98 and now have the necessary info to proceed.
I have contacted The Storage Equipment Manufacturer's Association (SEMA) and requested an ACOP from them and I am investigating the new ScafTag system for possible use.
I have reviewed the services from SESS to possibly take a course.

Thanks to everyone for your help, I am now on the safety path with my racking.

Dean