Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2004 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JamesK
Folks,
I am looking for asistance on Stadard Operating Procedures for Gym equipment and also assistance on a format for a safety statement for my local sports club which consists of function rooms, gym,showers, pitch and car park.
I have been asked by the club to help prepare the above. I have no experience in sports centers and I am hoping that someone could give me advice/information.
Many thanks,
Jim
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2004 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Whittle
An organisation called BUCPEA produce a guide called 'Safe Sport in Universities'. It offers lots of good practice information for many sport activities. ISBN 0948634804

My employer operates both indoor and outdoors sports centres, primarily for students, but also open to clubs and members of the public. I have found this guide very useful.

I have no contact details for them, so you could try a web search.

ILAM - The Institute of Leisure and Amenity Management may also have some useful information. Again, no contact details. We accessed some of their information via a consultant.

Regards,

Steve.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2004 13:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By paul cormack
In a similar vein, we are following a case being process through Tribunal Hearings.

A Sports Coach (with advanced UK Coaching qualifications), with competitive playing experience in that sport was recently suspended for raising safety issues and concerns with coaching standards.

Person suspended also has MIOSH RSP with NVQ4 Occupational Health & Safety. National Governing Bodies for the sport are trying desperately not to get involved.

Has anyone here heard of a similar experience e.g. either a Sports Coach w/MIOSH or parent or player w/MIOSH etc being suspended? Any information would be very much appreciated.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2004 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JamesK
Thanks Steve, I will try those.
It is only a small football club with a gym but as part of the committe tht runs the lpace I want to put in lpace as much as I can and to make surethat all documentatoin is in place. It is one of these jobs that is free Gratis...BAH
Jim