Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2004 20:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Cummings
I have been asked by my employer to look at several diferent firms and assess which one is best. I would like to ask anyone who has done this before if they have a checklist or application form that the contractors can complete so that I can assess their level of compentency levels.

I would also be grateful if anyone can advise to what type of questions I should be asking.

Please feel free to email me at johnc@wadds.com

Many thank

John
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2004 22:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Hickey
John
If you go on to the NATAS site
http://maxl.e-combuilder.../p.6189/ecombuilder.html
they will be able to help.Send a email to or phone Max Lopacki he will advise you. They keep a data base of competent BOHS Assessors.
I took my P402 with them

Regards
Steve
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2004 08:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall
Just be cautious that you are not simply vetting the contractor through virtue of holding a License. The HSE have issued an Aide Memoire for Method Statement checklists for such. It covers Scope of Work, Hygiene Facilities, Waste Disposal, Enclosure of Work, Control Measures, Method of Work, Entry and Decontamination Procedures, Air Monitoring, Final Clearance (now 4 stage) and Emergency Procedures. Make sure these factors are considered with the cost.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2004 13:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter MacDonald
John

Three important documents a competent contractor should have.

Asbestos license
Carriers liscense (if they are to remove the material for disposal)
Insurance document. Ask for a copy from the broker if in doubt. The cost of insurance for asbestos removal companies is extremely high and many cowboy companies have fake documentation.

All asbestos operatives should have regular medical examinations and be properly trained. Any competent contractor should have a portfolio on each operative with this information. Ask to see it.

Check the HSE website for enforcement action and check the length of time trading and under what other names they gone under in the past.

Cheers

Peter