Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2004 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Bridgehouse Abandoned / burnt out cars are becoming a major problem today in all parts of the country and concerns have been raised regarding contaminated land and the risk to clean-up crews. Has anyone carried out any soil analysis of remaining contaminated ground to establish if there are any hazardous substances present and a risk assessment on burnt out cars with regards to remaining residues on the ground and what hazardous substances may be present and put clean up crews at risk? Also, any contaminated soil excavated from the site - is this disposed of as special/hazardous waste?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2004 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Just a note for those who might be unaware. When fluolastamers (spelling?) overheat they degenerate into Hydrofluoric acid (not to be confused with less hazardous Hydrochloric)this stuff is really really nasty. I'm aware of a scrap yard worker who lost several fingers (and he was lucky!) when contaminated from a burnt out car.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2004 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bev Carter Stephen, Have you had a look at the contaminated land regs? http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20000227.htm#2 I had a quick look and I don't think that what you describes would be classed as contaminated land - but don't trust me - please check for yourself! Also, it might be worth you bearing in mind that wherever you are finding these vehicles, the ground might already be contaminated by a previous use - particularly on brownfield sites where old industrial premises still exist or have been demolished. I suggest you go on the HMSO website and have a look at the special waste regulations for how to dispose of any ground you remove. Anything that is in a liquid form can leach into ground, but the extent at which it travels will depend not only the viscosity of the liquid (and whether it sets or dries) but also on the type of ground. Ground conditions vary as to their porosity and therefore the extent of any possible contamination (eg sand - easy to permeate, clay - not easy, therefore good barrier). The vicinity of local waterways and the level of the water table is also a consideration when thinking of contamination. It will depend on the sort of cirmstances you are finding and this may be a bit of overkill. Hope this helps a bit and that the regs give you the answers you need!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2004 17:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Jim Not sure where you got that one from although the research does suggest that there are problems with particulates on this and also there is a feverish flu type illness caused in some exposures. Bear in mind that these fluoro polymers are generally designed to have temperature stability. What I have read discounts the possibility of hydrolysable fluorines as a problem. Of course though there are other fluids available that can create hydrolysable materials in a car engine compartment - not forgetting that the battery contains sulphuric accid and this is liable to be ejected everywhere. Loss of a hand from HF is unlikely as left untreated even for a short period is liable to require even more radical amputation to stop the spread through the bone. Bob