Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2004 15:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Hoskins Back last July, I raised the matter of the requirement slipped in by IOSH that Managing Safely had been given a three year "life" and after three years holders of that qualification were required to undertake refresher training. I never got a definitive answer on what this refresher training entailed. The nearest to it was that if the refresher is undertaken within the three years, it could be of one day duration, but outside of the three years it must be the full four day course (very much like first aid at work). Now though, I see an accredited provider advertising a one day refresher "for delegates who have undertaken IOSH Managing Safely more than 3 years ago". So where does that leave us? Is a one day training acceptable over three years or not? Definitive answer please would be very much appreciated because we have around 35 staff who will need this retraining and it isn't going to be cheap! Alan
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2004 16:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas Posted on behalf of David Haynes - IOSH Commercial Dep't. Alan Please accept my apologies for not replying earlier, the Commercial Affairs Department has been relocating over the past week. During 1997/98 the Managing Safely and Working Safely courses underwent a major rewrite and the new packages resulting from the rewrite were launched in September 1998. The '3 year shelf life' of the IOSH certificates was introduced from 1 September 2003 In view of the above the IOSH policy on Managing Safely and Working Safely Recertification courses is as follows: 1. Anyone completing the MS/WS courses up to 31 August 2000 should now be required to complete the full course again. 2. Anyone completing the MS/WS courses in the three years between 1 September 2000 and 31 August 2003 should be offered the re-certification. 3. From 1 September 2003 all certificates carry the three year date line and delegates should undertake the recertification course(s) within that three-year time frame. I hope this clarifies the situation for you and once again I apologise for the delay in getting back to you Regards C David Haynes Chartered MCIPD Health and Safety Training Manager
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2004 16:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Hoskins Thanks Ken/David, Our local accredited provider (CHSS) tells me that September 1998 is the current cut-off point (they got that information direct from IOSH apparently!) so is there still perhaps some leeway in this? Anyone who did the "new" course are able to refresh by the above standard. That would certainly make more sense and be better for us in terms of cost and resouces (try getting people away from their work for 4 days...) Would you like to comment further please? Alan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2004 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By C David Haynes Alan There is obviously some misunderstanding between CHSS and IOSH. The IOSH policy is as posted to you yesterday Regards C David Haynes Health and Safety Training Manager
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2004 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By C David Haynes Alan Following discussions here at IOSH the policy for Re-certification is now as follows: 1. Anyone completing the MS/WS courses prior to 1 January 1999 should now be required to complete the full course again. 2. Anyone completing the MS/WS courses between 1 January 1999 and 31 August 2003 should be offered the re- certification. 3. From 1 September 2003 all certificates carry the three year date line. This is slightly different, but mor in line with your thinking, than previously stated. Regards David
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2004 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Didn't know that there was a 'requirement' to undertake this training! or is this purely a commercial ploy?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 25 February 2004 10:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By C David Haynes Dave Sorry about the delay in responding. The recertification courses for Managing Safely and Working Safely are now available for course providers who are approved by IOSH to deliver the full Managing safely and/or Working Safely courses. It was always intended to produce recertification courses and this has now been done. Also, from September 2003 all certificates bear a three-year expiry date so encouraging delegates to keep up-to-date by undertaking the re-certification course. Of course, it is virtually impossible for IOSH to 'police' this arrangement so it is really down to course providers as to whether they wish to offer the recertification courses. I would add that, to date the take-up as been very positive. Regards David