Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2004 10:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John A Birch Hi We Are discussing the PUWER Regs and have come across a sticking point. Can anyone clear up the debate as to wether a Hiab Truck,operating in its proper capasity as a self loader/unloader falls under PUWER or LOLER.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2004 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt PUWER as a vehicle, LOLER in its lifting capacity - and subject to statutory examinations.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 January 2004 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ayee A HIAB is both work equipment and lifting equipment. Equipment must be work equipment and be covered by PUWER in order to be covered by LOLER. PUWER covers suitability, maintenance, controls, information, training etc. LOLER covers strength, stability, positioning, thorough examination and organisation of lifting operations etc. Of course there is all the non H&S legislation applying to vehicles as well ...
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2004 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve A Durham Tend to agree that this falls within LOLER in the first instance but of course PUWER also applies with regards to construction, design of controls etc Perhaps somebody could offer an opinion on this current dilema. Is a police car 'equipment' under PUWER? The incident involves an officer who inores a dashboard warning light and screaching noises when the drive belt failed. As he tried to turn the vehicle round in a cul de sac the belt wrapped around the steering gear and he crashed. In Reg 2 of PuWER it specifically states that with road vehicles on public roads, the Road Traffic Acts will take prescedence over PUWER. The PC concerned is pursuing a personal injury claim on the the basis PUWER applies and it is therefore a strict liability onus on the employer. (ie, to provide equipment that is safe). However, if the argument falls within The RTA 88, then it is the driver who is responsible for his actions and condition of the vehicle, albeit the owner (employer) may pick up some liabilty but, on the test of reasonably practicable. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2004 16:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd With regards to the car. My thoughts are that under the HASAWA the PC had a duty to take reasonable care for his own H&S. Ignoring the warning light and screeching noises does not sound like taking reasonable care. Why did he drive on? If he was being chased by an unruly mob and had to get himself out of there then that might be different. I'm sure there will be a service record for the car and records of between service checks? Maybe there is also a daily check? What I am saying is if you have maintained the car in good order and trained the drivers appropriately, what more could you have done? Regards, Karen
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2004 18:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve A Durham Thanks Karen These are my arguments entirely. No he was not being pursued, apparently he was only a mile and bit out of the station and thought he would drive the car back. Unfortunately, according to the lawyers having a good service record and regular vehicle inspection is no defence if this comes under the 'shall do' terms of PUWER. Strict liability applies, the vehicle failed, therefore it was unsafe - liable. We can argue some contributory negligence on the PC's part, but basically the way this new legislation is written as far as I can see it, 'so far as is reasonably practicable' has been thrown out and no longer exists, certainly with much of the civil litigation. Unless anybody can point me in the direction of a previously decided case or legal opinion. Steve
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 February 2004 10:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Bower Steve, Understand your frustration, - we suffer from similar issues!! Is it too simplistic to look at the guidance notes accompanying PUWER? In particular paragraph 65 which refers to motor vehicles in relation to their use on public roads which states '... cars should be maintained to the normal standards required for use on the public highway.' I'm sure you've already explored this route. Surely maintainance in accordance with manufacturers recommendations meets this requirement and to look for a higher standard is something of a nonsense? Would any form of risk assessment lead to increased maintenance over and above that recommended? I would suspect not unless there is a particular identified problem. Any merit in trying to get an HSE opinion? I'd be interested in what you may discover. Stuart
Admin  
#8 Posted : 11 February 2004 11:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack I'm inclined to think your legal people have a point re civil claim, citing absolute duty in PUWER on maintenance. As in Stark v.Post Office.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 11 February 2004 16:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray This has gone slightly off the original question but if the Police vehicle is a marked car it can only be used for the purposes of policing and therefore would come under the provision and use of work equipment as it cannot be used for any other purpose. Even though a vehicle is purchased to a police specification and is delivered in a non liveried form as soon as the vehicle is put into use, we believe in our force that PUWER applies and we treat all vehicles provided for police work as needing to comply with the regulation. There may be many who would not agree with this stance but it is better to treat these vehicles in the same way as waste contractors would with refuse wagons, and fire engines which cannot be used for other purposed.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 12 February 2004 09:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve A Durham Thank you for your opinions, certainly food for thought. Martin is quite right, this has moved away from the original question so my apologies for that. It is an interesting point that a police vehicle has a dedicated use, not capable of being used for any other purpose, therefore PUWER applies. It is an avenue we had not considered. Unfortunately of course, this does infer strict liability and no amount of maintenance or inspection, even over and above the manufacturers specification, can be offered in defence. Under this onus, it happened, ipso facto the the vehicle was unsafe.