Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2004 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Elizabeth Ashford
Hello

I was wondering if any other forum users have experienced a similar situation to myself.

I have received notification that an employee at the company which I work for experiences ill health effects (runny eyes, nose and sore throat) after using a particualr type on ink on a lithographic printing press.

We have assessed the ink and it is not classified as a health hazard and is vegetable based. The employee concerned has been made aware of these findings but is still insisting that he experiences these problems.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can further investiage this matter?

Thank you in anticipation

Elizabeth
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2004 11:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason
Do you have an Occupational Health service you can this refer this person to? This needs proper diagnosis by a OH physician (make sure the physician has the MSDS, all the product data etc.)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 January 2004 11:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Elizabeth Ashford
Hello Diane

Thank you for your response. We do not have this facility at our company, although I am proposing that we use an outside company to get the employee concerned looked at. It could be that the employee is suceptable to a component within the ink.

Thanks again

Elizabeth
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2004 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason
Elizabeth,

I think that's a good idea - you can get contract OH services. Try your local hospital - some of them run a contract OH service called NHS Plus.

You definitely don't want to rely on his GP's opinion - no disrespect to GPs but they are not generally very good on OH issues.

You're probably right in that a component of the ink may be causing an allergic response. If so you'll either have to move him to other work or change the ink. Plenty of non-harmful substances cause allergy - peanuts being a now classic example. But allergies do need to be properly diagnosed.

Regards

Diane