Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2004 16:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter MacDonald
A long shot.

Does anyone have any information on dealing with Pyrophoric scale as a residue contaminating pipework. I require to remove the scale, place in suitable containers, and dispose as a special waste. I have risk and COSHH assessments based on the material itself but would like some guidance on the method of removal of the scale and transfer to suitable containers.

The pipes are 350mm up to 1000mm wide, in 4 mtr sections, contents kept damp with ends sealed sitting in a bunded area.

Cheers

Peter
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2004 17:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Peter
Long time since I had this problem, it was with Raney-nickel catalst back in the 70s. I presume that from your description you are dealing with one which is water tolerant. But do check ths out. They are easier to deal with in many ways as the art is in keeping the material wet/damp during the whole process. This includes the cleaning of the tools scrupulously with damp cloths on a regular basis and especially at every break. Be careful with the water though as it could sluice the material into the ground if you are not careful. The initial preparations are going to involve detailed discussion with the waste transporter and the receiving site. Drums will need sealing at the least but other special requirements may be made by the receiver.

I personally preferred the disposable overalls as these could be placed in the disposal drums also. You are going to need to dispose of all clothing, gloves etc with the traces of material adhering. In many ways it is not disimilar to the problems of radionucleid disposal except you need to keep it wet. By the wqy phosphor bronze tools are best for this operation as they do not create sparks.

Finally of course always keep adequate extinguishant available for the unforeseen. It may ultimately be easier if the whole pipe section could be disposed of. Without knowing the composition controlled ignition may not be an option. Open the discussions with the gov agencies and the disposal company asap.

Bob