Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2004 12:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce
Here's an interesting one!

An Outdoor Education Centre runs a variety of outdoor based activities, one of which is climbing, abseiling and lowering at a single location, a rock slab.

The teachers running the course each hold a Single Pitch Award and are experienced, dedicated personnel, some in fact hold Mountain Leader Awards etc.

For the activity on this slab they obviously, use ropes and "pegs" fixed to the rock face. These "pegs" have been in place for a number of years, were placed by the staff and are, we assume, used by recreational climbers when the centre staff are not there.

The purpose of the pegs is to prevent falls, in excess of several metres with the worst case scenario being potential for death if the pegs fail. I acknowledge that there remains a requirement for a belay person to be part of the activity but the "pegs" definitely form part of the safe system for this work.

I'm pretty sure that these "pegs" should be regarded as work equipment, as the staff are employees, involved in work activity, when they are in use.

As pieces of work equipment, I believe that they fall into the requirements of PUWER, specifically Reg 2 - Inspection. As such they should be inspected etc on a regular basis.

I believe that the Workplace Regs would apply also, specifically Regulation - Maintenance of equipment and devices.

I'd be very interested in colleagues opinions of this before I get back to the centre manager with my initial thoughts.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2004 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze
Serves 'em right for sport climbing, trad climbing is the purer form!

Seriously though, I can't fault your logic although you are right to raise the issue of other climbers using (or abusing) the gear.

One thing to consider is how many falls a peg has been subject to, if the gear is in situ you will never know.

At least with issued work equipment, you (should) have a record of who has used it,damage sustained & when it was last inspected.

You also need to consider the fact that where gear is left in situ, a climber is more likely to climb beyond their innate ability increasing the potential for a fall to occur onto the peg.

Contact the British Mountaineering Council, I'm sure they would be able to offer advice on the maintenance aspects of pegs.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2004 13:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
I agree 100% that the pegs are work equipment and should be installed, identified and inspected as would any lifting gear or life protecting equipment. Users (your staff) should inspect (after suitable training on what to look for) the pegs before relying on them to protect their and clients lives. If the general public has access to the pegs then a daily recorded inspection might be required.

Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2004 13:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Just a thought, does the organisation placing the pegs incur any liability should they fail while a member of the public is using them?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2004 01:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Cook
Good question, reakon its definately work equipment, pegs, hangers or eyebolts for this purpose would probably come under loler i guess ??, Does this not mean that all of the other parts of the system such as ropes, slings and krabs would also 'fall' (sorry) under loler and
ultimately would those instructors not be covered by the working at heights directive as they are undertaking an at work activity ??

Picture it now..... a senic scottish rockface, 10 young people harnessed-up ready to learn to climb and two instructors helmets on, wearin full body harnesses and steel toe cap boots tryin to drive an MEWP up to the crag so they can rig the belay into their newly tested eyebolts ready for the kids to use.

lol.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2004 08:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter MacDonald
Sorry, this is only half a response. I read somewhere recently that the application of LOLER to rock climbing and to instructors in particular actually can make the activity more dangerous. It was said that all other EC countries had included a waiver to regs for this activity, but not the HSE in the UK. Unfortunately I can't remember the details.

Can anyone expand on this.

What might the implications be of someone free climb instructor? No lifting equipment required but what about working at height regs.

Peter
Admin  
#7 Posted : 05 February 2004 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce
Many thanks to those who responded.

This is turning into a nightmare! I'm now convinced that LOLER applies as well and am getting a headache considering the implications around displaying safe working loads etc!

Why do people want to go climbing anyway? Never understood the attraction.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 05 February 2004 13:03:00(UTC)
Admin

"Because it's there"

It is a way of challenging yourself & overcoming your fears.

It is a way of gaining a sense of perspective in life.

It's a way of learning self reliance & discipline.

It's a way of learning to trust others.

It is an almost spiritual experience.

The real question is why would people NOT want to go climbing.

It's also a bl**dy stupid hobby for someone who's a safety adviser!
Admin  
#9 Posted : 05 February 2004 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By david cairns
Jonathan i agree, and for a bit of fun here we go!!

The Climber's Song
(to the tune of Battle Hymn of the Republic)

Will it go around the chockstone, called the belayer looking up;
Our hero feebly answered yes, and slowly inched on up;
He was trying to drive a piton, when his foothold crumbled out;
Oh he ain't gonna climb no more.

Chorus:
Gory, gory, what a helluva way to die;
Gory, gory, it's a sport I'll never try;
Gory, gory, what a helluva way to die!
Oh they ain't gonna climb no more!

The belayer felt the rope pull taut and tried to let it run;
But it jerked him from position, and he knew his time had come;
He left the ledge behind him as it shot up toward the sun.
Oh they ain't gonna climb no more.

chorus

They slithered over the friction pitch, and passed the southern call;
They had such a good exposure that it made a glorious fall;
They tumbled through the chimney, and sped on down the wall;

chorus

The days they lived and loved and laughed went running through their minds;
They thought about the girls back home, the ones they left behind;
They thought about the the ranger, too, and wondered what he'd find;

chorus

One had the rope around his neck, and pitons through his spleen;
An ice axe in his rucksack had split the other's bean;
The trails of red marked their descent as they neared the slopes of green;

chorus

They hit the ground, the sound was splat, the blood went spurting high;
Their comrades were heard to say what a colorful way to die;
As they lay there rolling in the welter of their gore;

chorus

There was blood upon the rucksack, there were brains upon the rope;
Intestines were intwined across the green and grassy slope;
We picked them up in a lunchpale after salvaging the rope!
Oh they ain't gonna climb no more!
chorus
Admin  
#10 Posted : 05 February 2004 14:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce
Like I said......!

We should all be at home collecting stamps, having assessed the area and task for risk of course and consulted the material safety data sheets that support the adhesive.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 05 February 2004 21:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow
Ian

last year I had to undertake a Health and Safety inspection of an outdoor centre that provided various outdoor pursuits such as abseiling, as well as some other more extreme activities (not for the lighthearted), this was prior to our Princes Trust Members going on a weeks residential/activities course.

Has the centre a Licence issued by The Adventure Activities Licensing Authority, if so this would mean that they are open to inspection by the Authority at regular intervals prior to any license being issued.

You may wish to contact them on 029 2075 5715 or www.aala.org or indeed contact the HSE, who I am sure, would be more than happy to assist you.

If you email me directly david@safetyfirst.karoo.co.uk I can give you details of a contact who runs an outdoor centre accredited by the AALA, again who I am sure would be more than happy to help with your query.

Hope this helps

Regards

David B