Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2004 16:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George
Hi All

I appreciate that as H&S people the administoring of computors is probably not in your job discriptions.
However as of 3rd Feb 2004 the MYDOOM virus will start attacking the web site (www.microsoft.com).

The outcome of this is unknown but I advise that you check out the following site

http://grc.com/default.htm and read the item "Help with the MyDoom Virus".

If you follow all the links you will be able to get the information to remove the virus and understand how you got it in the first place.

I only bring this to your attention because I received this virus via email from another IOSH forum user - THEY DID NOT SEND THE EMAIL -

Cheers Kelvin
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2004 16:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
Thanks for link.

I to have been infected and it seems to be slowing my startup considerably.

I hate xp and will have to setup ME cos it is so much more simple.

This mydoom virus is also getting into other files so beware as I have recently downloaded some and e+ anti has identified it as corrupted by mydoom.

I knew they said it was bad but this is terrible.

Good luck all

Jason
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2004 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Thank heavens for Norton Antivirus; I must have received over 300 copies of Mydoom and Norton has trapped every one.

Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2004 17:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch
for the benefit of those of you who do not have the advantage of clever IT people here is the advice from our clever IT people, from 27 January, and update yesterday....

Mydoom is a new virus that travels using e-mail. It harvests email addresses from your hard disk and uses randomly-chosen addresses for both the "to" and "from" fields. This means that the "from" address is false and does not tell you where the mail really came from.

W32/MyDoom-A arrives in emails with the following characteristics:

Subject lines include:
error
hello
hi
mail delivery system
mail transaction failed
server report
status
test
[random collection of characters]
Attachment names include:
body
data
doc
document
file
test
[random collection of characters]
Attachment extensions:
bat
cmd
exe
pif
scr
zip

If you receive this email then please delete it immediately without opening & then empty your GroupWise trash. If you have already received this email & your antivirus has not detected the threat (it should display a message if an infected file is detected) then please seek assistance from the IT Helpdesk.

Systems Department

ou will be aware of recent press coverage of the MyDoom virus. This virus is responsible for a 30% increase in internet email traffic. Consequently, internet email servers are under a 30% greater load than before and this has resulted in delays. This problem is global in scale and is out with the control of Babtie.

You may be aware of emails that you have sent that still have status "Pending". This is due to the server timing out after a set period. You may need to re-send these emails. If you are sending an important email you cannot assume that it will get sent on time; you must check the status is "transferred" to be sure that the email has been sent over the internet and if the email is critical you should check with the receiver to confirm its delivery.

Regards,

Systems Department

Regards, Peter
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 February 2004 18:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Raymond
Good old Norton also supply a removal tool should you get the bug. Goto www.norton.com and search under mydoom, you can then download a tool that will eradicate the virus from your system. But beware mydoom also implants a backdoor trojan that gives a hacker access to your computer when ever it is connected to the internet!

Putting Norton internet security onto your system normally blocks any one from access your PC with out knowing.

One of our clients had their systems hacked and in one night over 1 million emails where sent out!

Cheers

Dave
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 February 2004 18:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
What about outlook express, does this program auto open your mail as I seem to always be able to preview contents?

No ammount of risk assessments or risk analysis would forsee the effects of me a boot and this virus creators backside?

Hacked off Jason
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 February 2004 22:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller
Mydoom virus

Outlook express seems to strip out any viruses automatically. I have had several hits with this virus and seem to have beaten it every time. I also have ZONE ALARM software and this has filtered the virus from my yahoo account.

It is the attachment that does the damage if you open it. Outlook has informed me on every occasion that the File is corrupt and has been errased.

Mike
Admin  
#8 Posted : 05 February 2004 01:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd
Fortunately, AOL screens all email for known viruses.
And my av vendor supplied an upgrade within a day.
The commonest source for the virus is prats downloading via peer-to-peer file tranfers, such as Kazaa.

To make things difficult, there are two versions...A and B.
Any emails with subject lines as:

Mail Transaction Failed
Unable to deliver the message
Status
Delivery Error
Mail Delivery System
hello
hi
Error
Server Report
Returned mail

should be deleted.....

unless you usually make a cock-up of sending emails, in which case you're up the creek without a paddle.
To make things even more fun, the A package turns off some virus detectors !!