Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2004 14:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Is anyone aware of a minimum qualification or training course that would make someone competent to train staff in the use of a Fire Extinguisher?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2004 16:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JamesK Alison, What we do is arrange for the company that service our extinguishers to train everyone on the basic use. They will issue us with a certificate stating that the named persons are competent of using them. This only states that the person is capable of using a fire extinguisher to put out small fires and escape the danger that the fire poses. It does not make them trainee fire brigade members. It all depends on what level of skills you would want for the employees. My previous employeer sent the emergency response team on a weeek long training program with the training headquarters of th fire brigade. So, a lot depends on what your company needs are. The very basic could be covered by your service company. Jim
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2004 13:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas Alison, I think this would be flagged up on your Risk Assesment, everyone that you employ you have a Duty of Care for, therefore everyone must know what to do incase of a fire or any other type of emergency. Everyone must know what to do in the event of a fire alarm activation, also what to do if they see a fire i.e. what number to call the emergency services (Some firms you cannot dial 999 they have their own internal number to a control room) Things they need to know: where is you nearest call point (Break Glass), nearest fire extinguisher, your nearest exit door and your Assembly Point, good practice is to ensure that all ataff know how to operate a Fire Extinguisher and how to diguish which extinguishing medium is suitable for what type of fire. You will also require certain number of staff to be trained as Fire wardens. I hope this is of some help. Rod D