Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2004 15:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Hurst
Can anybody advise me on an issue surrounding scaffolding inspections?
Our Maintenance Teams repair/maintain property. In the course of their duties they will engage a competent contractor to erect scaffolding to enable them to undertake their operations from a safe working platform.
My question relates to the inspection of the scaffolding. Althougth the scaffold erector will provide an examination certificate to say that the structure has been erected safely, before any of our operatives work on the structure should a competent person from our organisation inspect the structure? (from construction information sheet 49 - before contractors allow their workers to use someone else's scaffold they must make sure it is safe)
What do other people do?

Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2004 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Barthrope
Yes, You must ensure that an inspection is undertaken, as and when required, by the CHSWRegs1996.

We do allow the scaffold erectors to provide the first inspection report in the register, as well as providing the handover certificate, along as the relevant manager/person in charge walks the scaffold with the scaffolder.

If we do not have the relevant competencies on a particluar site, such as on our small maintenance division sites, then we either pay the scaffolder to attend site, as and when necessary, or get a manager/competent person from another site to visit once a week or, as necessary to make the required inspections.

Hope this helps

Alan B
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2004 20:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Carter
Alan is correct, the system we use is when scaffold has been erected or altered a hand over certificate is produced by the scaffolders for me to sign. At this point i along with the scaffolders will walk the scaffold and any thing of concern to me must be rectified then i sign the certificate. I then must complete a scaff check at least every seven days/after any adverse weather/or when any alteration to the scaffold has been made(by a scaffolder and no one else). the reason i make the inspection is i have sat a scaffold inspection course.

Hope this is of help
Keith Carter
construction site manager.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2004 08:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Hurst
Thanks Chaps

Much appreciated