Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2004 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew V I work for a retail company and have been asked by an employee for a copy of the accident book entry detailing an accident that she had at work approximately two months ago. I believe that the only reason she wants a copy is to enable her to make a claim against us. Can I refuse to provide a copy of the accident report on the basis that it would be an infringement of the Data Protection Act? Any help would be appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2004 15:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Andrew Surely, it can't be an infringement of the DPA to provide the information to the employee to whom it relates? Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2004 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze As I understand it, the data that requires protection is the name and address of the employee in question. Previously this data was in the public domain, anyone could access the Accident Book by law and thereby obtain the details of those who had reported an accident. This is no longer allowed. However I do not see a problem with the person who actually had the accident seeing the details of their own accident. As I understand it, to try and use the DPA as a reason to block this would be a gross mis-application of the law similar to what happened recently in the Soham murder case. That's just a gut feel by the way, not legal advice - I could well be talking out of my hat.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2004 15:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson Andrew Paul is right but if I were in your position I would prefer the request in writing that way everything is documented. Hope that helps you Robert Paterson
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2004 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Andrew, I once had a similar request, checked with HR, gave the employee a copy of their entry in the accident book and their statement of events and a few days later got a letter of intent to claim. You may as well just give it to this person, because my understanding is that their solicitor can request a copy of it anyway. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2004 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Wright No. As anyone can complete an entry (including the person who had the accident) AND the fact this person only requires their own information, you cannot refuse and DPA is not an issue. But I would advise a formally documented request for your records.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2004 16:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Johnston I am currently pursuing a Civil Liability claim against my old workplace. My solicitor showed me just yesterday, a letter from the insurance company, this letter had a copy of the accident book entry. From this, I can only assume that the solicitor at least can obtain a copy. Hope this helps.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2004 20:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karl Newcombe If the employee decides to make a formal claim against the employer then the accident form will become a disclosable document (and possibly similar accident entry’s of a twelve month period). I see no harm in giving them a copy now. Hope this helps. Karl
Admin  
#9 Posted : 06 February 2004 20:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd In most cases, the employee can ask to see any information you hold about him/her either in data OR textual form. That is in the DPA. The new accident book (which you should be using by now) enables details of the accident and personal details to be recorded seperately. In any case, the solicitor who may be handling the case, will write to you for dsetails of your insurance company and the accident. You could always refuse, but it'll do you no good and just cost more in the end. Funny that, my employer did just what you're thinking of doing now...refusing details...and it ended by costing them 15000 quid instead of 3500.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 07 February 2004 00:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Gray As mentioned before the information contained relates to the individual asking for it and they are entitled to see it. As well as the accident book entry being discloseable, any accident investigation report,done by management or by a staf appointed safety rep, is also discloseable. Again this is not a legal view, just my reading of it. John
Admin  
#11 Posted : 07 February 2004 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd If you only put bland details in the accident report and omit anything that could be used against the company, you're in the clear. Better still, just "forget" to enter anything at all. Then you'll have an very good accident record and may even get a "good safety gold award" from your H&S consultancy. Find a good reason to lose the employee as well, then the others will get the message.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 08 February 2004 12:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Rae Andrew This information is 'discoverable' in terms of civil action. If the BI510 was of the old type, simply screen the other incidents / names sharing the page and give your employee a copy of the information. This information WILL be requested by a solicitor if a claim is forthcoming so its as well to hand it over now. If an accident report was completed in respect of this incident, I'd dig it out now, because that is next on the request list. Regards DR
Admin  
#13 Posted : 08 February 2004 15:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian stevenson TechSP Andrew I hope the reply of Mr. Murgatroyd was intended as a joke, or I would hope to never see him in a workplace of mine. Perhaps you should do an accident investigation, find the root cause and put in a safe system of work to eliminate this acciden happening again and avoid future accident claims. regards Ian
Admin  
#14 Posted : 08 February 2004 22:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Hand it over to the employee or the solicitor, its as simple as that. Seems to me that the comany is on the back foot. Whatever the accident was, ask yourself 'what did you do to prevent it happening again' Perhaps this is why your in a bit of a Tiz! When any of my staff are injured and request an entry into the accident book, I always let them know that a photocopy of the entry is available should it be required. This is because many an accident book has suddenly been misplaced when the summons hits the mat. Put your corporate head on the back burner and check out your humanitarian side you will sleep much better! Mike
Admin  
#15 Posted : 09 February 2004 01:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd Joke ? Well, partly. Not funny, but ironic. I've lived with the "employee" part of H&S for so long, I drop into the part so easily. Maybe you should get a job with a small company ? Not so much H&S there. The "federation of small business" wants the gov to "reduce red tape" and "end the scandal of employers being sued by no-win-no-fee solicitors for trifling accidents" As for the accident book bit...been there, had that done. It goes on all the time....bullying employees to get them to drop cases...intimidation and verbal abuse....
Admin  
#16 Posted : 09 February 2004 09:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Really there is only one question you have to ask yourself. What have you got to hide? The rules of disclosure mean that you will have no option to provide it if asked by the solicitor handling any claim, so why withhold it? All you do by refusing to hand it over is make it look like you have something to hide, and project a pretty poor image of your company's attitude to its staff. Alec Wood H&S Officer Samsing Electronics UK Ltd
Admin  
#17 Posted : 09 February 2004 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew V Thanks very much for all of the replies. Some interesting points of view indeed. I'll take the advice on board. Regards, Andrew.