Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2004 09:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michelle Driscoll
Our lift maintenance company claim that spot lights are to be outlawed ion passenger lifts and we need to install strip lighting.

Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so the name of the relevant legislation?

Many thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2004 15:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Leon Zacharow
Michelle

I have not heard of anything, but if our lift maintenance company told me this I would ask them to confirm what regulation they were quoting.

Regards

Leon
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2004 15:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
We recently (actually, it was a short while ago) received a "report" from our lift engineers stating that they had reviewed the risks involved with inspection and servicing of our single passneger lift (only goes to one floor) and quoted the following:

* British Standards: BS5655, BS7255 and BSEN81 (replaces some parts of BS5655).

* Electricity at Work Regulations 1989

* Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998, and

* Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.

All of these are bona fide sources, although I haven't read the Standards so cannot quote authoritatively on thier requirements. However, I agree with the suggestion that you challenge the claim that spot lights are to be outlawed - on what basis?

Just to put this in context, ours doesn't have ceiling lights - it is a strip light running vertically down the middle of the wall with the control panel, so if there is such a requirement then ours already complies!