Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2004 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Katiem I wonder if anyone can help. One of our office personnel is currently expecting her first child (approx 15wks pregnant), a photocopier has just been moved in to her office. The office is reasonable large and open (but not open plan) with the copier at one end (~2metres from her work station) and she sits near a window. I have my concerns about relocating the copier here although it's main function will be as a printer/fax. Current thought is that ozone levels should remain reasonably low (below OES) even if it was being used regular. Does anyone have any experience of this? In general I have issues with the suitability "new" location of copier not least the expectant mother, but I may be up againist it here with storage and lack of space issues (etc etc) Looking forward to hearing from anyone! Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2004 15:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Cathy Ricketts Is it possible for the employee to swap desks? Pregnant employees are often more sensitive to these types of problems. Speak to her and see how she feels about the new location, it might also be effected by other factors such as if she suffers from asthma However this doesnt detract from the fact that the area should be well ventilated away from the employee. These copiers can also be quite noisey and generate heat if in use alot. We have got an extractor system above one of ours to give additional ventilation. However I am not sure of the size of the one you have in your office They should also be well maintained. Make sure you have safety data sheets in place for the toners used in case of any spillage The HSE have lots of guidance on pregnant employees on their website
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2004 15:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marion E Harvey - Smith Katiem, I have emailed you direct, with information regarding photocopiers from past experience Regards Marion
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2004 10:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Following on from Cathy's points, make sure that no-one has the light flashing in their eyes whenever the machine is used.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2004 17:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Dando Ideally photocopiers should heve their own rooms which can be ventilated i.e. ones that are peopleless. Photocopiers should always have maintenance contracts out on them. When you are purchasing one, not only should you be thinking of MPDS on toners but you should also request a product data sheet on the copier which should give you information on the heat generated, the noise levels produced, expected ozone levels, dust generated as the paper passes through the rollers etc. In our organisation we've had to measure ozone levels on various ones because of complaints (headaches, dry/itchy skin etc,) but they have all been below the OES- even quite old ones. Some of them however during large runs can easily go upto 60dB plus, which makes the noise a stressor for some people. Moreoften it is the local ventilation or lack of it that creates the problem. Sticking it near a window in an office full of people maybe ok for a tiny copier in the summer but think of the winter when it's too cold to open the window. What you will need to do though is to reassess her VDU workstation as the bump gets bigger! Make sure as well that all staff are 3-4 feet away form their laser printers vents. Good luck in trying to get a room for it because it should have one.