Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2004 13:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anita Parkinson Professional Indemnity Insurance - should all persons involved in health and safety hold some sort of professional insurance I would like to know what you all think on the matter during this testing time for all health and safety professionals can anyone recommend a suitable level of cover, and a reliable source for this insurance I am employed but I am sometimes asked for advice from other companies on a consultancy basis. all advice gratefully recived
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2004 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Anita, If you are providing advice to companies other than your employer then you really should get some PI cover. I used Sennet and obtained cover of £1,000,000 for just over £700 for the year. Visit sennet-insurance.co.uk Regards, Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2004 17:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Nixon A good internet based insurance company is www.Insurance2day.co.uk for £0.25m PI cover + £1m PL + £10m EL it cost me <£250 is good value. Depends on how hazardous your working environment is. Most clients will require you to have insurance if you are a consultant, not required if you are an employee.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2004 18:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Funnily enough Michael, with 8 years consultancy work behind me I've been asked by just one client for proof of PII. Interested in the price you quote though, mine is in the same region as Paul's.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2004 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anita Parkinson My question was asked due to the Legionella deaths in Barrow, your competency can still be judged as in the case of Mrs Beckingham, a Manager at Barrow Borough Council, as I understand it she will have to prove her competency and could be liable to costs if found innocent she could even lose her liberty. I would like your views, on whether PI Insurance is a good bet for all health and safety professionals or should just the consultants pay, No one would like to be in her position without some sort of legal help. Thanks for all previous responses. Anita
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2004 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Anita PI insurance only covers civil claims; the employer cannot indemnify an employee against criminal penalties nor can the employee get insurance cover for this situation. In the event of a civil claim arising from an incident, the claimant would usually claim against the employer because of their vicarious liability for the employee's actions. Paul
Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2004 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I hear that M/s Beckingham has been charged with manslaughter. No amount of PI will pay for any penalty imposed for that. When I stopped being self-employed and became an employee, I stopped paying for PI cover. A number of requests from former clients, etc then had to be declined as the likely income would have been less than the insurance premiums!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 February 2004 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Anita If you are doing some consultancy I would consider PII to be essential. But beware of the small print, including the need to find out what excess is included, and the probable exclusion of cover for a number of issues including (eg from 1.4.04) asbestos. Regards, Peter
Admin  
#9 Posted : 18 February 2004 14:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anita Parkinson Thankyou all for your thoughts on the matter of PI Insurance I will look into getting some cover, I would rather have the insurance than try to keep my trap shut when someone asks for advice, I think for me, it would be very difficult and rude to say 'sorry i can't give advice, i'm not insured'. Thanks again for all your help. Anita