Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2004 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Taylor Can anybody help me with support for a case against a supplier (USA) who has supplied a plastic routing machine emitting noise levels above 85dB but who hasn't provided any form of acoustic enclosure. I have been pressing for 6 months for them to resolve the matter but without success. I am quoting the Supply of Machinery Regs para 1.5.8 Machinery must be so designed and constructed that risks from emission of airborne noise are reduced to the lowest level taking account of technical progress and the availability of means of reducing noise, in particular at source. The machine is a router routing plastic dashboards on a fixture. The supplier maintains that all of the noise reduction is a function of the fixture which we have designed to suit our parts and not of the routing process. I find this hard to swallow given that the fundamental process of plastic routing will emit some level of noise that will need to be surpressed ideally (for me) by an enclosure. What do people think? Am I right should I press on or am I barking up a very tall tree? appreciate any comments at all regards MT
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2004 18:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Martin Was compliance with the Regs specified as part of the contract? If not, you will find it all but impossible to achieve your objective as fitting the guarding will cost the supplier money. However, if further purchases are likely, you could try to use this as a carrot to get the supplier to guard the machine. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2004 20:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By k p connor There is certainly a reluctance / unawareness? to help. I contacted probably the most well known producer of hand held power tools regarding and vibration results. their answer was they only produced items for the DIY market. Brick wall?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2004 07:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Taylor Thanks Paul - we didn't specifically raise the supply of machinery directive but I am assuming that to issue a CE certificate the machine must comply with the European Directive - do you think I am missing something here. thanks for your advice regards MT