Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2004 12:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Sandler can anybody please direct me where i can down load information required for running a rugby club, youngest members/players under 5 years. just safety, nothing on rfu thanks regards
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2004 07:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Jonathan No experience of running a rugby club, but I do have experience of running a judo club for 26 years, with ages of members down to 5 years. In the event that you have to do it all from first principles: Get yourself a committee, to contain some of the parents and coaches. Get yourself affiliated to an official governing body that offers large amounts of insurance. Get yourself a competent and qualified coach who also carries large amounts of insurance (my coaches qualification carries 10 million pounds of insurance). This one step goes a long way towards getting yourself 'above board', because they, if competent and qualified, will tell you what you need to do. It will also ensure that the techniques taught are appropriate for the ages of the players. Also any reasonable coaching scheme will have mandated a degree of competence in first aid, running a club, and the affiliation of the coach to their governing body should have covered investigation of any criminal record against children. Look at the playing area and make sure that it is safe for the activity, and that the facilities offered to the players are also fit for purpose. Ensure that you have first aid available at all times, and that there is someone always present with access to a telephone. Create a constitution, as a committee activity, that defines who is a member and who is not, who is permitted to coach and who must be present for a session to take place, what the association's objectives are, and what your child protection policy is. Bear in mind that although the coach may have been investigated, you will probably need other 'lay' helpers and you may need to be careful with these. Ensure that you keep records of all the children so that you have a contact name and telephone number of a responsible adult in the event of distress or injury. Make sure you ask for any details of any health condition that might have a bearing on their participation. This information will have to be kept confidential, but is nevertheless essential. On our form we undertake not to disclose any information other than to a medical practitioner who is attending their child in their absence. Regards Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2004 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson Hi Jonathan Like Jane I do not know anything about setting up rugby clubs or any other sports clubs for younger children. But it might be a good idea to check up on whether you need information with regard to the Child Protection Registration process. I would think that your local council or Police station would be able to advise further. Hope that helps Kind Regards Robert Paterson