Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2004 15:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By margaretconlon Should an act of physical violence between two employees be recorded in the accident book
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2004 18:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd Only if one or both are off work for more than 3 days (or 4, depending on what you read) Then again, if the violence is not related to work, maybe you don't (again, what you read) http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse31.pdf Usual procedures followed by managers in cases of workplace violence: 1. Ignore it. 2. Tell the parties to do it off the works premises. 3. Sack the one you don't like. 4. Threaten the one who wants the police called-in with the sack. 5. Issue both with written warnings. 6. Issue both with verbal warnings. 7. Faff-about like a headless chicken handing both parties warnings and moaning about possible compensation payouts.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2004 13:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen J W Clegg. Hello Margaret. The correct document to enter this information on is a P45. That sounds harsh, but consider the impliactions for an Employer if the assaulted person dies as a result of an assault in their time and on their premises. There are of course other routes to follow, as mentioned by John. Good luck!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2004 14:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lilian McCartney I would record it in your accdient book (assuming that it's for all accdients and not just RIDDOR's). Also, there's a new part of RIDDOR to consider if one or both has been off etc. I would then let your Personnel/Human Reosurce people take over.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2004 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott I would say yes - but it is more a personnel matter then a safety matter (only from the way you've described) - if it was on a shop floor, or in hazardous area ... I agree with the P45! I did read somewhere once where 2 employees fought in a foundry and a 3rd person was injured trying to resolve it.. The HSE came (don't remember how they were informed) and investigated this and concluded that poor management practices, lack of supervision, questionable training and suitability for roles.. etc were contributory factors to the 3rd person injury. I think the company had a hefty fine to pay... So, record it...