Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2004 19:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bobby Charlton Hi My boss is about to move us all onto small laptop pc's to replace the desktop ones we currently use. Some of us have a real problem with this as we are quite tall (6 foot +) and fear eye strain, backache etc. Are there and H&S rules that make this illegal? We are going to be working on them 8 hours a day, 5 days a week from the same position i.e. not taking advantage of their mobility. Thanks for any advice!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2004 20:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton I suggest that he buys just one laptop and trials it to discover the problems that its constant use is likely to highlight. An assessment under the Display Screen Equipment Regs 1992 must be undertaken and any necessary control measures implemented. I use a lap top and to accomodate my eyes I have to use an external keyboard and mouse as the laptop keyboard brings the screen to close for comfort.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2004 21:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tracey Docking I don't think it's illegal but the advantage of a laptop is it's portable but disadvantage is the design of it makes it difficult to adopt correct posture (lack of adjustability etc). I've always recommended that they are used for short periods of time and don't replace PCs. We also give our users a laptop guide sheet to give them advice on how to adopt better posture - on a train book a seat with a table etc - but sounds like your use won't be mobile. I agree DSE assessment should highlight problems.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2004 21:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Sims The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 as amended by the Health and Safety (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2002 will apply and, in my opinion, they make (via guidance referred to below) a separate keyboard and mouse together with some phone books to raise the laptop all a legal requirement under the circumstances described. For more information see ‘Work with display screen equipment. Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 as amended by the Health and Safety (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2002. Guidance on Regulations’ L26 (Second edition) ISBN 0 7176 2582 6 and http://www.hse.gov.uk/a-z/d.htm#display_equipment
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2004 00:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller I was faced with a similar situation several years ago when we were issued lap tops both for use on site and on desk top. As a safety rep (at the time) My fellow workers and I complained because their introduction raised several issues that had not been discussed. There was the ergonomic problems and also the exposure to personal attack or (mugging) when walking round with £2k worth of equipment. Cut a long story short we wrote to the HSE who replied saying that Lap tops can not comply with the DSE regs unless they are (docked)plugged into a monitor with a full size key board. They went on to say that the prolonged use of laptops should be avoided. It did not end there. Our employer tried to wriggle out by saying that they were not laptops but 'hand held' portable computers. I murdered that one by writing to the manufacturer and asked them for a specification for both a 'hand held and a laptop' guess which one we had! I fail to see why anyone would want to take a perfectly good PC and swap it for a smaller PC and risk causing personal injuries and discomfort as well as damaging staff morale. Mike
Admin  
#6 Posted : 19 February 2004 09:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews Laptops are fine to use as main PCs as long as they are docked into a docking station with a full size monitor and separate key board and mouse. Used on their own they do not fully meet the requirements for equipment as described in Schedule 1 of DSE Regs, as follows: 2(b) [Display screen] The characters on the screen shall be well-defined and clearly formed, of adequate size and with adequate spacing between the characters and lines. The image on the screen should be stable, with no flickering or other forms of instability. The brightness and the contrast between the characters and the background shall be easily adjustable by the operator or user, and also be easily adjustable to ambient conditions. The screen must swivel and tilt easily and freely to suit the needs of the operator or user. It shall be possible to use a separate base for the screen or an adjustable table. The screen shall be free of reflective glare and reflections liable to cause discomfort to the operator or user. 2(c) [Keyboard] The keyboard shall be tiltable and separate from the screen so as to allow the operator or user to find a comfortable working position avoiding fatigue in the arms or hands. The space in front of the keyboard shall be sufficient to provide support for the hands and arms of the operator or user. The keyboard shall have a matt surface to avoid reflective glare. The arrangement of the keyboard and the characteristics of the keys shall be such as to facilitate the use of the keyboard. The symbols on the keys shall be adequately contrasted and legible from the design working position.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 19 February 2004 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott *Rubs Hands* - Ok... Firstly I would say that provided that a docking station, appropriate monitor stand (think back to phone books.. naaa, keyboard and mouse are used - then Laptops are fine as an alternative to desktops. Laptops these days are as powerful as desktops, and keyboards and mice are relatively cheap so that shouldn't really be too much of a problem. Managing and designing the workstation is the most important task - but frankly I'd be quite happy to have a laptop instead of a desktop. Security must be taken into account of course, as a laptop is far more easily stolen then a desktop - that's a factor that should be considered before you replace desktops. Regards, Chris
Admin  
#8 Posted : 20 February 2004 16:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Haylett I would ask the company why they want to replace the PCs with laptops when mobility is not required. Laptops are a lot more expensive and harder/more expensive to upgrade. The only advantage to laptops (apart from mobility which you say is not the reason) is that they take up less room. If this is the reason then they should be looking at flat monitors which at £200 to £300 are a lot less than laptops (and would allow you to put the screen in the middle of the desk right in front of you which is the ideal position) or changing the PCs to desktop or tower models (which will fit under the desk subject to space and ventilation). If they still intend on going ahead with laptops then as a minimum you should insist on retaining your existing monitor, keyboard and mouse which (with a splitter cable) will all plug into the laptop. You would then only have to use the laptop once a day to switch it on and would then use your existing keyboard/mouse and monitor. Finally, if you are using computers 8 hours a day 5 days a week you should be getting regular breaks/change of activity. If not get a DSE assessment immediately otherwise RSI (among other muscular skeletal problems) await!
Admin  
#9 Posted : 22 February 2004 21:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Harris Our business is in developing software & we have increasing numbers of staff who need laptops & use them at various locations for periods of up to 6 hours a day. We use desk top risers to give screen height adjustment & provide a full size key board & mouse. This wil be followed up with DSE assessments at 6 month intervals. What more can be done? The use of technology is in front of the Regulations. At the end of the day an employer can only do what is reasonably practicable to do in minimising risk.