Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2004 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By J.M.Armstrong Hello All, I am involved in a team at work looking to improve safety. We work under a permit to work system for all jobs. At the moment we also issue personal Hazard Identication cards, which comprise of a number of check boxex against for example, chemical contact, slips,trips,falls, Collapse, noise etc,etc. The problem that I have with these cards is that there is no where to say what the extent of the risk is or once a hazard has been identified by a tick (we work in a chemical manufacturing plant so chemical contact will be ticked for almost every job)there is no place on the card to identify the controls implemented or that the risk has been reduced as far as practicable. I have been tasked to look at improving the card, this may involve just adding further space to allow control measures to be added and also to state whether a full documented risk assessment is required etc or it may involve a complete revamp of the card. Do any of you have such a card at your place of work? or have any advice as to the way to go?. We all carry out a mental risk assessment as standard before starting each job and from that we decide whether a full documented RA is required so I am conscious of not complicating or clouding that process. Any advice or examples of cards that you use would be much appreciated. Thanks Michael
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 February 2004 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Wyatt What you have in place is more of a hazard spotting exercise, which is a useful thing, but in my view needs to be in addition to the risk assessment process required under the MHSW regs and illustrated in the "5 Steps" INDG document. On our site we operate something similar to your card system as a toolkit that areas can use, e.g. as part of the area safety meeting activities. This contains a simple checklist as follows: Circle one of the following: A Potential to cause death or life-threatening injury or ill health (action within 24 hrs) B Potential to cause injury or illness resulting in time off work (action within 7 days) C First aid or medical treatment required; none of the above. (action within 1 month) Significant risks flagged using the report sheet I would follow up with something more comprehensive. Regards, MJW