Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 February 2004 22:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frederick George Robotham We are discussing Behaviour-Based Safety on the Safety Institute of Australia discussion forum.The extremes seem to be the hard-nosed safety professionals who do not beleive the waffle on the topic that comes out of America to the strong advocates(surprisingly there are many advocates amongst the companies that flog B.B.S. programmes). We would be interested in the U.K. and Europeanian perspective on B.B.S. Regards, George Robotham Brisbane, Australia
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2004 23:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Frederick, Basically as I see it there are two distinct 'camps,' those that support BBS (industry) and those that oppose it (unions). Somewhere between the two lies reality. Personally, I am not so keen because BBS or at least the American version appears to have too much emphasis on operator error (active errors) and I do not like the use of 'incentives' which can lead to the non-reporting of accidents. Indeed, one of your antipidean colleagues Hopkins (2002) has written a interesting paper regarding BBS and what he describes as a variant of BBS ie risk-awareness. Like Hopkins I am wary of fads within health and safety, BBS may appear to be the Philosopher's stone but upon further investigation the concept is inherently flawed. Safety in my view cannot be conveniently 'pigeon holed' to fit one doctrine or another, it is far too complex. So there you have it blue, UK style. Regards Ray
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2004 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marc Hebron Hi Ray, Can you please tell me where I can find more info on this subject as it is something I am interested in. Cheers, Marc..
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2004 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear Frederick, I was interested to read the postings on your thread, http://www.sia.org.au/fo...wthread.php?threadid=351 about Behaviour Based Safety (BBS). Like all things, BBS has both good and bad points. The good being that it focuses employees upon their behaviours and the bad that it may distract employers from their duties to provide competent employees, safe systems of work, safe equipment, and a safe place of work; and that it may be used as a mechanism to abdicate responsibility as well as assign blame to employees. My problem with BBS is that some psychologists sell it as the safety panacea, because as they state 96.4% of accidents are caused by people and if people didn't act unsafely then there wouldn't be accidents. This is rubbish, and belies that fact that 100 % of accidents are caused by something and if you look hard enough you can always find, with the benefit of hindsight, an act or omission that somebody should or should not have done that either caused, contributed to, or failed to prevent the accident. Sane rational people, generally, do not set out to injure themselves. People do not cause accidents; they contribute to accidents! Their acts and omissions, do not exist in a vacuum, they exist simultaneously within psychosocial and physical environments, and it is the interaction of all three that combine to produce incidents that result in accidents. Therefore, anything done to improve safety must take account of both the psychosocial and physical environments as well as the behaviours of individuals. Now I'm off my soapbox, I would like to make the point that if BBS is used by management to abdicate their responsibilities, then its part of the blame game and worthless; however, where it is used as part of the toolkit alongside systems approach to management, ergonomics, industrial hygiene, designed in safety, engineering, human error reduction, etc then it adds value and should be considered and used if and when it is appropriate. Good articles on the pro's and con's of BBS are contained in Innovations in Safety Management: Addressing Career Knowledge Needs Fred A. Manuele and Safety Culture and Effective Safety Management NSC. Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2004 11:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Marc, There is a lot of information regarding BBS and associated factors. It does depend on which angle you are coming from. That said, I have listed some interesting research for your interest as follows: HSG(48) Reducing error and influencing behaviour. Reason J.(1990) Performance levels and error types. Reason J.(1998) Achieving a safe culture: theory and practice. Petersen D.(1982) Introduction to human error. Martin & Pear(1999) Characteristics of behaviour modification. HSE(1999) Safety cultures: giving staff a clear role Hopkins A.(2002)Safety, Culture, Mindfulness and Safe Behaviour: Converging ideas. For a conflicting view on BBS you may like to look up Hazards Magazine and use their search engine. Alternatively use Google and the advanced search engine should yield some results. Regards Ray
Admin  
#6 Posted : 24 February 2004 17:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman I am strongly for BBS. In its place. It is not the univeral solution. first you have to put in place all the management, legal and working environment requirements of accident prevention. If you get all of that right, almost all that is left is behaviour. How do you change behaviour - ask the BBS people. I did, and now I know that it is simple and easy. Forget the old "Unsafe acts and dangerouse situations" audits. Check out what is good. what are the best/prefered/safest behaviours. How can you recognise/reward/reinforce the good people ? That is BBS. But, unfortunately, it does not come easy. You have to identify the people/groups who behave as required, and "reward" them. When was the last time that YOUR boss congratulated you because you had done a good job ? When was the last time that YOUR boss reinforced your good behaviour/performance (apart from the annual appraisal)
Admin  
#7 Posted : 25 February 2004 17:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Frederick. to add to the wealth of good leads given I would add the following document: 'Strategies to promote safe behaviour as part of a health and safety management system' Prepared by 'The Keil Centre' for the UK health and Safety Executive Contract Research Report 430/2002 - downloadable from the HSE web site in the UK. An excellent work.